Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hmg314
I am trying to install the WRE54G Range Expander.  I have a WRTG54 wireless router that has been working fine for years.  When I run the setup program for the WRE54G on a PC with Vista, I get the following message: Error: Site Survey Fail, Please try again.  Has anyone else encountered this problem.  Does anyone know how to get around this problem?

bruj0

Re: WRE54G

The easiest way I found around this was to use the supplied network cable directly into my wireless modem try that
great_white

try this link to configure the RE .... let me know if you face any issues...
RMI00

Hopefully you have solved this issue..but if not..be sure that you have updated all of the products to the latest Firmware!  I had this same problem when V1 of the Range Expander was first shipped.
Aqua Shores

We are a marina - - Last year the Linksys worked fine but I did not install the unit (someone who is not around installed the unit).  We are a seasonal business so the unit was unplugged and brought in for the winter.  It was plugged back in this weekend but is not working now.  What do I have to do to make this work???  I have a NETGEAR wireless router (WPN824 v2) inside the building,  and the LINKSYS (WRE54G ver.3) router is to be plugged in out side on pole so everyone in the marina can get online with a wireless connection toi the internet?  Please help?????????
Aqua Shores
ejl
ejl

Have you resolved your problem? I am in a similar situation. I live in a complex and recently purchased the range booster and don't really see an advantage. I am getting two blue lights. I don't know if the fact that I am on a Mac has anything to do with it.
Luckydog

Yes, apparently the Mac setup is completely different from the PC setup. So, please take a look at this link:

You may get the blue lights but the Mac is not connecting to the RE unless you have a static IP address for the Mac and set the RE IP address and Gateway address to your router IP address.
DnX2iS

I have the same problem, what i should do if i have windows vista home premium(in my opinion this is the worst windows ever)?
Yokolok

honestly, if you have vista, switch back to xp...i'm not kidding and that's what i did...:smileyhappy:

anyway, here's what i did to set it up...

take out the password in your router...plug in the range expander and let it auto config...or you may use the supplied CD to do it...however, make sure that you have upgraded all the firmware for your router and expander...

once you have it set up as directed, open your browser and access the expander - 192.168.1.240...you may have to restart the computer...and unplug the expander for about 30 seconds...turn the computer back on, access the expander, and type in the ssid, and if you want to secure it, type in the type of security (i used wpa) and the password...after that go and set up the security in the main router...turn everything off and restart (including router)

turn everything back on and plug in the expander...if it doesn't work or it says limited connectivity etc, unplug the expander, and let sit for a few second then plug it back in...it should work...or anyway, that is how i got mine to work...

now every time i lose signal, i just unplug and plug in the expander...

this may sometimes be caused by interference from another source, like a wireless/cordless phone which may be using the same frequency...so keep the router and the expander as far away as possible from the phone's base...
woog

Re: WRE54G & WRE54G

Hello, I really need some help....I have a Linksys router WRT54G ver 2.0 that have been working fine for more than 3+ years. I just recently purchase a Wireless-G range expander WRE54G rev 1.0.

I wave several computers connects (desk top and laptop) connected to router with no issues, all run Windows XP.

As soon as wireless-g range expander is connected to power two lights go on one in blue - activity, other red - link. According to troubleshooting guide:
> Link led light blue = range expander has connected to functioning access point or wireless router
> Link led light red = there is no access point or wireless router with which to connect
** I all ready reset range expander several times, auto configuration, configure utilizing CD set up and still light red

Any suggestions will be appreciated