njc
njc

WRE54g works for 5 minutes, then stops.

I have a WRE54g connected to a friend's NETGEAR wrn2000 rotuer in a different apartment.  I had a heck of a time getting everything set up, but I am now typing this post via the connection.  The problem is that the connection between my computers and the WRE drops after typically about 5 minutes, the longest it's lasted was about 1.5 hours. Two blue lights remain on the WRE, yet I cannot access the utility page, even after asigning a static IP.   Unplug the WRE, plug it back in, and seconds later I'm up and running again for a variable amount of time.

Without the WRE, I am able to connect quite consistently to my friend's router with my laptop, but only in one corner of my apartment.  So the WRE shouldn't be having too much trouble maintaining the connection either (as evidenced by the consistent blue lights).  Is it possible that the WRE is roaming to try and connect to one of the 15 other SSID's that reach my apartment, all of which are security enabled?  I have access to my friend's router utility, and can get access to the physical router if I need to.

Any help is much appreciated.

vai_fan

Re: WRE54g works for 5 minutes, then stops.

The very first thing we would like to know is what version of the WRE are we using ?

Secondly did you match all the settings that you have on the Netgear router into WRE , Like SSID , security mode and the network password .

njc
njc

It is v3. And, yes everything is identical between the router and WRE: SSID, channel, and WPA passphrase. I tried changing the channel of both units, but channels 1, 6, and 11 all have equally heavy traffic, and as I understand it those are the only three channels that are recommended for use?

njc
njc

It is v3. And, yes everything is identical between the router and WRE: SSID, channel, and WPA passphrase. I tried changing the channel of both units, but channels 1, 6, and 11 all have equally heavy traffic, and as I understand it those are the only three channels that are recommended for use?

vai_fan

Your Netgear Router WNR2000 is a Wireless-N Router that has got WDS, that is the reason why Linksys WRE54G is atleast working with your Router....You have to mark the difference here, your Router is a Wireless-N device which are stand alone devices which do not support devices like WAP54G or WRE54G....

Try and configure changes like configuring your Netgear Wireless-N router with a Wireless-G or a Wireless-BG mixed mode, so that your router and your WRE54G will have a stable connectivity between them....Also, the point where i see the problem can be is the wireless security type that you are using on the router, due to which you have configured your WRE with the same....WPA or WPA2 may or may  not be that much compatible with your WRE54G, so try and change the wireless security type on your Router to WEP....

Changes will work for sure....Please try and post your updates.....

kawal

make sure that your SSID is unique so that your devices do not connect to other Netgear routers within range. try also disabling the WEP/WPA on the router and the expander and see if the connection still drops.

njc
njc

Sorry for the late reply, I've more or less given up on this combination and succumbed to getting my own cable internet service.  In case anyone else stumbles upon this forum with a similiar problem, I'll update this with my trials and errors.

After talking to a random computer fella, and in concurrance with replies here, the problem seem to have arisen from the linksys/netgear combo, as well as the fact that the netgear router is a wireless-n router, and the WRE uses wireless-g.  If I were to attempt to get this combination up and running yet, the most plausible next step seems to be switching the netgear router to wireless g only, (or mixed b/g if necessary with your devices.) I've read multiple times that WPA security is actually the best bet in regards to using security with the WRE, but I'd imaging changing to WEP would also be worth a try.

I'm (for now at least) choosing not to take this step, as the friend with whom I was sharing the connection likely would want to use the router at it's full potential, and leave it on wireless-n. But if we end up testing this hypothesis, I will post the results here.  Thanks for the help!

Nicholas