WRE5G won't connect to my router

[ Edited ]

Here's What I've Done, please let me know what to do next in orde to make this work.

1. Autoconfig button on the side while connected to my WRT54GS router via a wire.

FAILED

2. Used the setup disc per the instructions, it wouldn't let me set the IP address as my router's address +1 (why not?).

FAILED

3. Used the setup disc, and let it choose the default IP address (via wireless), cannot connect to default IP address over HTTP

FAILED

4. Plugged laptop into RE directly with a wire, manually set my static IP and connect to the webpage.  Set all the settings like my router, except for the IP address as a +1.  Saved it and rebooted the RE.

FAILED to connect to router (red light)

5. Tried stepping down from WPA -> WEP -> unsecured (already had to step back from WPA2 since this RE doesn't support it)

FAILED

PS - mods, please don't delete this post, please respond to it with some help!

Message Edited by networkingout on 11-13-2008 09:04 PM
Message Edited by networkingout on 11-13-2008 09:05 PM

Re: WRE5G won't connect to my router

any help?

If your IP on router is 192.168.1.1 then connect the WRE directly to the one computer and access the setup page. Leave the IP on WRE to default (192.168.1.240) and assign the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 and make sure the wireless settings are exactly the same as your router. It should work.

I am not using 192.186.x.x.  Does the WRE support other IP addresses or is this another deficiency in the device?

does anyone use this thing with a different ip address?  or is this limited to 192.168.x.x?  

What is the DHCP range of the router? Is the IP addy you are trying to give to the RE in that range?

[ Edited ]
My router is not doing DHCP, my DC is.  I have tried both inside and outside of the DCHP address pool.  Which way should it be?
Message Edited by networkingout on 11-16-2008 04:02 PM

That may be the problem. The WRE is just not getting an IP addy to connect to your network. I am assuming you can't ping it. That is evident when you set the static IP addy on the PC and configured the WRE but it still wouldn't connect (red link light). The WRE gets all the info from the router and repeats that. I don't know how it would get the IP from the DC. I don't think it has to do with the actual IP addy at all. I am sure that the WRE would work right if the WRT54GS was doing the DHCP, as in a normal home network. I'm not sure how to set the WRE up as a static IP. I hate to say it but unless someone responds, you may have to contact Linksys phone support. Sorry.

I'm not following this line of logic. The static IP is right there on the main configuration page. Have you done the manual configuration before? I'm not letting the WRE get it's IP from DHCP, it is set as static. I can't remember since I'm not at home right now, but is it even possible to setup the WRE for DHCP? If so, it shouldn't make a difference where DHCP is done (router or DC) since it would be using the DHCP protocol. Correct I cannot ping it from the real network, it won't connect to the router. The only time I can access the WRE is when I am wired directly to it from my laptop. Which is when I set the IP. DHCP shouldn't matter anyways since all the information, the IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway are all set manually.

OK, well strike the static business, not the best choice of words. I just didn't know how the WRE would react in this case. Everything I've ever read said that IPs are managed by DHCP, whether the device wants one dynamically or a set one. Also, make sure that where ever this "management" is going on supports Wireless Distribution System (WDS).