Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bayareagirl

can not connect my wre54g to my uverse 3600 residential gateway

Does anyone have the step by step setup for making these units work together? I am trying to use the ethernet connecting the expander to the RG, but when i try to access 192.168.1.240.  Are these two units even compatible? Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

great_white

Re: can not connect my wre54g to my uverse 3600 residential gateway

What is the IP Address you are getting from your U verse 3600 ?

bayareagirl

I have a couple of computer in my house that I have tried, these are the individual computer ip addresses:

192.168.1.65 thru 192.168.1.71 

When I log onto the gateway set up page, these are those settings:

Router/Gateway Address192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
Private Network DHCP Info 
Range192.168.1.64 – 192.168.1.253
Allocated8
Remaining182
Timeout1440 minutes
dibbler

Open the setup page of the router .

On the Basic Setup page of the router change the Router IP to 192.168.2.1 , Save the settings .

Power cycle the modem and router .

Check if you are able to access the Internet on wired computer .

Open the setup page of the router and do the wireless settings .

bayareagirl

Okay, before I do this, let me clarify what I need, because i reread my original post and I must have been super tired because I did not bother making complete sentances!  My problem is that I can not access the wre54g's set up page when I have it connected via ethernet to my 3600 Residential Gateway.  The RG is a modem and router combined in one unit.  When I type in the wre54g's address, it says unable to connect.  My RG's current ip/mask is 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 (default) (I found that info on the DHCP configuration page).  As of now, I go to page 192.168.1.254 to access my RG's set up page, if I go into the RG's settings and change its ip address to 192.168.2.1, then I should be able to access the wre54g's set up page at 192.168.1.240, is that correct?  And I should still be able to access the RG's set up page at 192.168.1.254, right?  And, will I be leaving the RG's ip at 192.168.2.1?  And it warns me: If you change the IP address range, you must renew the DHCP lease for all devices on the network.--what am I supposed to do regarding that? And to power cycle the RG, I just need to turn it off for 30 seconds, right? Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, and lets just say that after I change the RG's ip to 192.168.2.1 and I am then unable to access the internet on the wired computer, what will I have to do to get back on the internet?  Will I have to go back to RG's Setup page and put it back to the default? Will I even be able to access the RG's setup page if I can not get on the internet? And, once I can get to the wre54g's set up page, do you recommend that I follow these steps (found these on another post):

1. Throw out CD that came with it.
2. Plug the extender into a wall outlet, then into your router via the ethernet cable. 
3. Open an internet browser and type in "192.168.1.240", default password is 'admin'.  Once you are in the set up screen, change all of the settings to match that of your router, exactly (channel, security, etc., EXCEPT SSID).
3. In the gateway slot, put the IP address of your router (i.e. 192.168.1.1).
4. Save settings.
5. At this point, with the extender still hard wired to your router, it is a good idea to update the extender's firmware.
6. When setup screen comes back after extender reboot, change the SSID to match that of your router. As soon as you have changed and saved your SSID, unplug the extender from both the wall and the router.
7. Put extender in the desired place, and wait for the blue light to turn red, and then back to blue. If it doesn't turn back to blue in about 1 minute, reset the extender and repeat the steps over.
Sorry for the long post, but I like to be prepared before I mess with setting on my computer!
castor

You don't need to change the IP address of your router.

The default IP address of WRE54G is 192.168.1.240.

Connect the WRE to the Ethernet port on your router. Press and hold the reset button on the WRE for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 30 seconds. Power cycle the WRE.

Now try to ping the IP address of WRE. If you get replies then try to access the setup page of WRE. Change the wireless settings on WRE.

If you are not able to access the setup page of the WRE then connect WRE to the Ethernet port on your computer.

Assign a static IP address to the Local area connection on the computer ( 192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.240 ) . now try to ping the IP address 192.168.1.240. open the setup page of WRE and change the wireless settings.

bayareagirl

I do not know how to ping :smileysad:!

troia

if you are using any Windows operating system, click on the Start button on the bottom of your monitor and select Run.

type cmd, then click on enter.

then a DOS window will open and type ping x.x.x.x or the ip address that you want to ping.

bayareagirl

Hi, I'm back.  Sorry for the long interlude-had a baby and got kind of busy for awhile! But I'm back and still having problems.  By following the reset procedures I was able to access the wre54g's login page and I entered what I thought was the correct settings, but I think I may be wrong with that info.  Can someone please explain to me which settings go where.  I can figure our the subnet mask, since that never seems to change, but what am I supposed to put in for ip address and gateway? I thought that I was supposed to enter my router's address where I log onto it to change settings, which is 192168.1.254, into the gateway spot on the wre54g's login page. For the wre54g's login page's ip address slot, I put the current computer that I am using ip's address.  After that, I saved the setting and power cycled the wre54g, and got the solid 2 blue lights.  Then, I checked the available wireless network tab on my laptop and found the wre54g (what actually shows is 2 networks with the same name) and I attempted to use it, but it says that there is a problem because it could not assign me an ip address.  When I attempted to use the actual router access point (which again has the same name as the wre54g-and the only way I knew which was which is because i was unable to access one) I was able t log on normally.  Any help would be appreciated!