robbiecc
Accepted Solution

wrt54G and wre54G speed

I have connected these 2 together and both are working fine.  I use my laptop out in my travel trailer parked in the driveway and the router is inside the house.  Before getting the expander I was getting(sometimes) 1 bar, maybe 2 on the laptop and was very sensitive to where in the trailer I was.  I have tried several locations between the house and trailer with limited success and now have the expander in the trailer by a window.  I now get 5 bars on the laptop and it does work better but still kinda slow.  Both blue lights on the expander are steady.

Distance total maybe 30 ft but both trailer and house have aluminum sideing, but both units are located by windows.  i have searched for this questions but there aren't any real definitive answers(that i have found)

Is the connect speed(strength) I'm getting on the laptop the speed to the router or the expander and is there a way to measure the connect strength(speed) between the router/expander?  Does the expander either work at full speed or not at all(connect or no connect) or will it connect at different speeds depending on location/obstructions?

thanks

Carrot

Re: wrt54G and wre54G speed

Try upgrading the Router's firmware..

Go to website linksysbycisco.com/downloads.........insert model no of your router in serach tab......select proper version of your router........download the firmware file......save that file on desktop

Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -
Open an Internet Explorer browser page on a computer hard wired to the router...
In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1...Leave the Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin firmware file and click on "Upgrade"...
Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful"  After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".

Now reset your router :
Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

If your Internet Service Providor is Cable follow this link

If your Internet Service Providor is DSL follow this link

Once you configure the Router, then to configure the Range Expander follow this link 

robbiecc

thanks, but i have no problem getting them to work.  and yes, both have the most current firmware.

my question was as follows, not how to get them working together

Is the connect speed(strength) I'm getting on the laptop the speed to the router or the expander and is there a way to measure the connect strength(speed) between the router/expander?  Does the expander either work at full speed or not at all(connect or no connect) or will it connect at different speeds depending on location/obstructions?

Carrot

The main wireless system of your network is your Router, which is resposible for broadcasting the signal with good strength.

Range Expander is a device which just extand the range of the signal coming from the Router.In other word if the signal coming from the Router is low then there is noway you willl get the good signal from  Range Expander as there is no DHCP on the Range Expander...So it is very necessary that your Router is broadcasting the signal with good strength so that it can properly communicate with other wireless system (like Range Expander)..

The signal speed you are getting on the laptop is of Range Expander.Range Expander works at full speed but it eats half of the speed  from the Router.

Yes the Signal strength depends on the position of the Device and obstructions...

robbiecc

thanks-that answered my questions.

the speed/strength that shows on my laptop will be what it's connecting to the router at, minus the overhead eaten by the expander.  seems to work best at where it's located, in the trailer by the window.  i get a full strength on my laptop-which is really about 1/2 of that but before i was getting 1 bar out of 5 and/or limited connect, and was very limited by where it would work in the trailer(32')

granted it's not as fast as i would like-what is?-but it's a lot faster, more stable and reliable connection.

thanks again

Atown93

Another possible solution for your speed issue may be to upgrade the antennas you have on your router to a set with higher output. 

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/LATAM/en/support/HGA7T

People often confuse the bars and speed that windows shows them.  The "bars" info is meant to be used for signal strength only and the speed is just read from the router.  Its no way indicative of real speed. 

You need to find a place where you get at least 3 bars and that is where your repeater should be....  Its not a signal booster its a range booster and therefore needs to get good signal in order to broadcast at a good range.

The easiest way to increase your overall speed is in careful placement of your WiFi equipment. 

1. If the router is by a window, make sure its not by the part of the window with the bug screen.  Your router will just see that as a big obstacle if its got any metal in the netting.  Keep anything that operates in the 2.4GHz range away from anything that is aluminum or has aluminum fibers or strands.  Certain types of aluminum resonate at or very close to the 2.4GHz ranges used by WiFi and some cordless phones.

2. The Higher the Better.  If you can put your router on a high shelf, do it.  If you can mount it in the attack, better still as long as its not too close to things like AC or heating units.

3.  Kill the clutter.  Treat your router like a trophy.  Don't let other wires and devices near your router.  Put your router in a place where as few things as possible are between it and your repeater.

4.  Repeaters are good but access points are better.  Leave your router where it is now, connect an access point like the WAP4410N.  Awesome range, lightning fast throughput and it decides what channel has less interference.  You will get the same speed wireless as you do wired.....no really that is no lie.

robbiecc

Hi all, thanks to reading and/or replying.  Since this post, several things have happened.  The laptop i was using had the HDD die. While waiting to find a drive i got a new laptop that came with 802.11n.  Also fixed the old laptop and added a usb 'N' adapter and got a WRT400N.  What a difference just in signal strength, let alone speed(a whole nother story there getting it to work)  Now both laptops work fine from the camper with a 4 to 5 signal strength and a steady 130 mbps.  I have gotten faster but think that's a configuration problem and am sure I'll figure it out or be back here :smileyhappy:

thanks again

Atown93

That's awesome!  I have installed that same router in several locations and NEVER had a problem or even a complaint about speed.  It can be a pain to configure (there is just so many options there it can be a bit overwhelming for someone who might not know what all that stuff means)....Ive been there. 

If you are getting the occasional slowdown in your signal you might check to see how "clear" the channel you are using is.  There is a free application that you can use to see who/what is out there..link below

http://download.cnet.com/inSSIDer/3000-2085_4-10848357.html?tag=mncol

Its really easy to use, very informative and does not have the compatibility issues like other WiFi "stumbling" apps.

I use it all the time to find open networks when Im traveling (I live outside the US at the moment) I hate paying for access at hotels and airports and use this handy tool to see what is out there before charging anything to my room or anything.

Your router may have the ability to automatically select which channel to use as well.  Go to the wireless menu and then select the advanced menu.  You will see there an option for channel.  simply select Auto.  Your router will scan the spectrum when rebooted or reset for the best channels to maximize your signal and range. If you don't have the auto option change the channel based on what you see in the INSSIDER app I mentioned above. 

**tip** avoid channel 1 and 2 if you want to be able to connect from a distance with your router...those frequencies are closer to the 2.4GHz cordless phones use.  You wont have a problem in the same room or within about a 20 foot radius but outside of that you may have some performance issues.  Most people leave their routers on the default channels when they purchase them (6 and 11 are the most popular) this leaves you plenty of room for see what channel gives you the best performance.

A good rule to follow is to select a channel that is at least 2 channels away from others devices (up and down)...or at least as close to that as possible.

Install that app and walk around the house and yard with your laptop it will show you a graph of your connection signal strength.  Your neighbors might think your crazy walking around with your laptop in your hand but hey your paying to be able to connect from anywhere so your gust getting your moneys worth..

good luck:robotwink:

rodrigt

Carrot wrote:

"The main wireless system of your network is your Router, which is resposible for broadcasting the signal with good strength. Range Expander is a device which just extand the range of the signal coming from the Router.In other word if the signal coming from the Router is low then there is noway you willl get the good signal from  Range Expander as there is no DHCP on the Range Expander..."

Help, I'm about to throw my WREG54 in the thrash! I've almost got it to work but it fails to transmit the DHCP from the router. (Actually it works fine when connected by internet cable to my WRTG54GL router, but stops when I disconnect for relocating the Extender.) The area where I am trying to boost the signal works fine with my Laptop on wireles directly from the router, albeit with only 2 or 3 signal streangth bars, thus the DHCP from the router is OK. I'm now wondering wether a stronger signal at reduced speed from the Extender is worth the trouble, but since I've gone this far I would like to test it.

Details: Because I want to test the resulting functionality with and without the Extender I've used a different SSID to the Extender. (I've read elsewhere on this forum that they should be identical, but that does not make sense to me.) Using the Manual Diagnostic Tool of my Laptop's Intel (built in) wireless, when I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Extender while it reports being "connected" (with 5 bar signal) it fails the Ping test: "No response: default gateway. DHCP server".

I would highly appreciate help!

robbiecc

I didn't trash mine, but I did put it away.  To me it was semantics-with a 2/3 signal with the 1/2 speed or a 5 signal(w/extender) but still 1/2 the speed.  Either way I was not getting the performance I was looking for.  What i untimatly ended up doing was getting the dual band 'n' router which took care of the speed/distance problems.  Even if you do not upgrade  your computers you'll still get better distance(know i did using both 'g' and 'n')  For other reasons I ended up replacing the original laptop (g) with a new  one that had an 'n' card in it.  When i did fix the old one(drive went south) I had both a 'g' and 'n' going through the dual band router with 5 connect bars (w/o the extender) with the 'g' at 54mps and the 'n' between 270 and 300mps.

For me the extender was an expensive lesson which I probably could have avoided if I had researched better, but the extender's overhead didn't even occure to me.  I probably would have gone to 'n' eventually but now that I did, I'm getting the distance I was originally looking for and almot 6 times the speed. I also ended up locating the router to a better, more central location and am running 2 wired units and up to 5 wiresless units-all with 4/5 signal strenth and full speed(3 'n', 2 'g')  If you  have a game or sat unit 'n' is the only way to go.  I use an 'n' ethernet bridge w/directv and the speed is alot better and it used to be hard wired at 100mps.  My advice is, if you can afford it is to go with a dual band 'n' router and upgrade the existing units as you can.  It already seems like 'g' is going the way of 'b'.  When i added the ethernet adapter I already noticed that 'g' adapters were getting hard to find(at least at my local best buy) and it's all going to 'n'.