Linksys
Product Review

Amazon.com: RE1000 - Does not play nice with Apple Airport Extreme

Date: December 31, 2012 Rating: 2 I've love Linksys products for years and always found them to be reliable. The pros of this device is that it will work as a LAN and wireless access point. The disadvantage for me is that earlier this year I switched to an Apple AirPort Extreme and it works but does not play nice with it. I find it to work inconsistently with high demand often resetting itself. Very disappointed in the product and planning on selling on EBay instead. I believe it will work fine with a Linksys or Netgear router.
Expert
zee29

Re: Amazon.com: RE1000 - Does not play nice with Apple Airport Extreme

There is no known compatibility issues with the RE1000. Even from the Cisco website they have posted that it is compatible with b/g/n Wi-Fi devices. The RE1000 had been known to work with other non-linksys routers but it would depend on the routers if it will allow the RE1000 to be connected to it's network. What I have found out though that there seems to be a feature with apple routers that will not allow it to connect a non-apple device. And to quote "Apple's "extend a wireless network" function appears to be a proprietary feature that will only work with other Apple routers. As far as we know, devices from other manufacturers are not compatible with this feature. Bottom line....It would be extremely unlikely that this would work, but it's worth a try if you already have the products in hand. "

(Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3584916?start=0&tstart=0)