Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Linksys
Product Review

E2500 - GUEST WIFI NOT WORKING IN "ACCESS POINT" MODE

This may not be an issue for most users, but it will be a deal breaker for those who already have a router (e.g. built into their cable/dsl modem) and are planning to use the Linksys E2500 as an Access Point.

Using the E2500 as an access point (the technical term is "cascading") is very simple if you understand Linksys's logic: connect one of its LAN ports (blue ports numbered 1-4) to a LAN port of your original router, and turn off DHCP on the E250. Turning DHCP off in the UI also turns off NATing and turns the E2500 into an access point: computing devices connected to the E2500's Wi-Fi network will get their IP address from the original router.

The problem is that turning off DHCP kills the Guest Wi-Fi network feature: the E2500 will still broadcast the Guest network, clients will see it and be able to connect to it (at 192.168.33.1) but won't get an IP address from the E2500... because there's no DCHP server capable of issuing IPs in the 192.168.33.* range! At this point it's game over. It took me close to two hours on the phone with Cisco/Linksys to rootcause this, and the support technician confirmed that it was a known bug (they call it an "unsupported scenario").

There is no mention of this anywhere on your web site. Cisco/Linksys: please fix this issue... or at least disclose the limitation on your web site. On the plus side, the technician I interacted with was knowledgeable, extremely pleasant and helpful.

Here are a few other product limitations I discovered:
- The name (SSID) of the Guest Wi-Fi network cannot be edited. If your main SSID is "blah", the Guest SSID will be "blah-guest"
- There is no way to apply usage restrictions to the Guest Wi-Fi network. I would have at least expected to be able to restrict ports/protocols (e.g. only permit HTTP(S) and block P2P or SMTP, but that's not supported)
- It's possible to restrict WiFi protocols to "A" only or "N" only, but not to "G+N" for example. Probably not a big deal for most, but a little weird.

On the plus side, there *is* a Bridge Mode (my E2500 shipped with Firmware 1.0.1). I've read several forum posts about this so I thought I'd confirm. I haven't tested it though.

you really need to document this better.

Ricewind

Re: E2500 - GUEST WIFI NOT WORKING IN "ACCESS POINT" MODE

The idea behind introducing a guest access feature on a wireless router is to provide internet access to your guests or anybody who visits your home and to prevent them getting onto your network or have access to your files and folders, basically limited access.

Now coming to your query about guest wifi not working in AP mode. When router is set to AP mode, it simply works as a pass through. Whatever the IP addresses it gets from the main router, it simply passes to the wireless/wired clients.

Guest feature access only works when the device is working as a router not as an AP.  Changing SSID, applying restrictions is all you could do on your main wireless network. Ability to make all above said changes will make it more complicated and increase the load on router's processor.

chewie1012

I have had this problem with three of these.  Spoke to Linksys L2 support.  They could not help me. 

I used these with a comcast business class modem.  Disabled dhcp on the e2500.  The wireless works fine but the guest network does not.  I eventually gave up.  Linksys needs to fix this.  These are not the cheap bottom of the line routers.  It is very discouraging.  You have to spend so much time trying to figure this out and it should just work.  The L2 Support could not fix this.

CKenneth

Hi. When you use E2500 router as an Access Point, the Guest feature of the device cannot be used. Devices have its own limitations when the main functionally is disabled. I think this is also applies with some brands. But you can just cascade on router to another one to be able to use the Guest feature of the wireless connection.