Linksys
Product Review

E3200 - Intermittent DSL connection

After having a Cisco-Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router for years with rock-solid performance I expected similar performance from this model.

Connectivity, however, is mediocre. The router drops the (AT&T (Ameritech/SBC) DSL) Internet signal at random intervals and takes quite a while to reestablish communication (10-15 minutes). As you can imagine, this is very frustrating if you are working on a deadline. I have NAS, printservers and wireless printers on my network and all work find with this router. Hopefully a firmware update will fix this issue.

Speed is okay. I average 130-150 mb/sec on my N devices and about 45 mb/sec on my G devices. You will want the higher end router(s) if greater speed is necessary for your environment.

Range is very good, especially without an external antenna. I get a strong signal in all areas of the house.

Security is easy to enable and set up on each computer. You can configure one device and then save an executable to run on all your other devices (including Macintoshes).

Since I expect the router to last at least five years I would recommend checking out a more reliable unit even if you have to pay a bit more for it.

Mort

Re: E3200 - Intermittent DSL connection

It’s only the internet connection that drops, right? You don’t lose the wireless connection or anything else when the net goes down, do you? Have you tried resetting and reconfiguring the device? It helps sometimes!

nadakoni

I have the exact same setup (E3200 / ATT DSL) and have also been experiencing periodic loss of the Internet connection.  I don't loose wireless connectivity to the router, just the PPPoE connection drops.  It comes back on its own after 20 minutes or so, or immediately if I restart my DSL modem.  I've tried resetting the router but this has not helped.  I have not experienced Internet issues prior to using this router, and I've been using this DSL connection for almost 10 years.  My prior WRT54G and E2000 routers worked flawlessly.  

gandalf

You could also try adjusting the MTU on the router. I’d suggest reducing it to 1472 and observing the connection. If you still face issues, you can keep reducing it by 20 bytes, but don’t go below 1365. You can change the MTU by following the instruction here. <INSERT LINK TO CHANGE MTU>

nadakoni

My ISP wants it at 1492 (the default) and it has been rock rolid for over 10 years using that setting.  It started dropping once every few days once I installed the E3200 router.  When I put my old router (Linksys E2000) back, it stopped disconnecting.  The DSL modem stays green but I can no longer connect to the internet through the modem.  I have to power cycle the DSL modem to get the connection working again.    

Corleone

Connect your computer directly to the modem and observe the connection in order to isolate the problem .

Also you can try to reset and reconfigure your Linksys router .

jcecire

I am also having issue with an E3200 that keeps dropping the PPPoE connection. 

My E3200 is connected to a WIMAX, there is no DSL in my area as I am too far.

I had a WRT54G and I did not ahve many issue with it in the last 2 years, connectivity to the Ethernet was stable.

Now the E3200 stays up for 2 to 4 minutes, then drops the PPPoE connection. The Keep ALive timer is set to 20 seconds, that's the minimum on the E3200, although I am pretty sure that it can be set to 0 on the WRT54G.

I connected my WIMAX directly to my Windows XP laptop and the connection is rock solid so far.

My next step is to reset the E3200 to factory default, then reload 1.0.01 built 3 and re-do the configuration from scratch.

Any suggetsions are welcome.

jcecire

OK, reset the E3200 to factory default, re-loaded a fresh copy of 1.0.01 built 3 and re-did the config manually.

Now the E3200 has a hard time getting an IP address, it did and the connection lasted a few minutes, then I could not get an IP address again.

Connected the WIMAX directly to the laptop and no problem getting an IP address and maintaining a connection.

What can be done from the E3200 side to find out why the PPPoE drops and how can it be prevented.

jcecire

Mort

As far as the case in hand suggests, that the DSL connection working with Linksys E3200 router with AT&T as ISP and PPPoE configuration in use, i believe setting up your router to "Keep Alive" mode is going to help in this case....It works for the same and should sort this out....

Please try selecting "Keep Alive" mode and then reply.....