Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Linksys
Product Review

E4200 - Lagging on games and unstable wireless connection

I bought the E4200 a couple weeks ago from Walmart, to replace an aging 802.11g Netgear router. It didn't have any problems other than the rare connection drop, and I thought that was bad.

The Cisco E4200 is easy to set up, and initially seemed great. Superfast WiFi speeds, 4-5 bars at the edges of my large two-story home, and plenty of configuration options. Then I learned that it isn't so good at QoS, when my Battlefield rounds over Xbox Live and Team Fortress 2 games were lagging all the time. I set exceptions for them in the QoS tab manually, and they worked somewhat better; it would still drop my Xbox Live connection a couple times a week, though. This was my first negative experience with the Cisco router, as my Netgear router handled online gaming without a hitch.

Then the WiFi radios started faltering. I hadn't messed with it at all, but one day it kicked all devices off of the wireless network (wired devices still worked.) It was still broadcasting the network, but if you tried to connect, it would immediately reject you.

That was the last straw for me, and I'm returning it to get a new WiFi-N Netgear router, which also happens to be much cheaper. Nice job, Cisco.

Wizzard

Re: E4200 - Lagging on games and unstable wireless connection

Have you tried upgrading the firmware of the router? That should help.

Also, for your online gaming, you may need to adjust the MTU size.

marineops92585

I have a E3000 router and I get horrible lag spikes on this router when playing on XBOX live that weren't present with the Belkin router I had before. I have changed the MTU to 1365, I put my XBOX into DMZ mode after port forwarding wasn't helping, and I even tried turning the uPnP on and off with no such luck. Any advice?
Wizzard

For E4200, it seems to be a firmware issue. Try upgrading the firmware and see if it works. To download it Click Here

Also, while forwarding ports for a specific device we have to make sure that the IP address which we specify is of the device  for which we are opening the ports (in this case, the XBOX) and not of the computer on which we are opening the ports. Also make sure that the IP address on the XBOX is a static one and not dynamic so that it does not change.