Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Linksys
Product Review

E4200 V2 - External drives problem

I worked with 'expert' technicians for a couple days, when I finally got a knowledgeable person to tell me there is a known bug with external drives on this router. Some drives are not recognized, while others, Seagate included, are recognized, but you can not map the drive from your PCs.

Although this is one of the most powerful wireless routers I have ever used, the buggy firmware and unusable external drive made me return my unit...FYI there is a newer unit coming very soon, the AE4500. You can see it in the Linksys support page on the Linksys.com site. Same functionality as E4200 v.2.

Linksys/Cisco appear to be dropping the price of the E4200v.2 unit on their Cisco shopping site, below Amazon's price, obviously in preparation for the new 'AE' series. Firmware updates are supposed to happen in a couple weeks for AE4500 to fix external drive issues. (a friend of mine found on in a retail outlet and is using it now without the external drive)

Don't buy this one. Wait for new model/fixes.

roberto-italiano72

Re: E4200 V2 - External drives problem

I've bought the EA4500 just a couple of week ago ang I've the same problem... mo way to share the external drive. I've tried some usb flash drives (sandisk cruzer and kodak) and 2.5" western digital but the problem still remains... I'm very disapponted!!

lheyvens

A firmware update would fix these issues. Just a matter of time till they make it available.

roberto-italiano72

Hopefully.... in the meantime I'm waiting! However, I spent money on a router that should have worked from the beginning ...

And what about of "app "enable"? Ah, ok... Linksys will relese a patch firmware in order to update/enable the "app function"...

Probably the EA4500 have a powerfull hardware but from firmware side have huge lags.

hillary681

roberto-italiano72 wrote:

Hopefully.... in the meantime I'm waiting! However, I spent money on a router that should have worked from the beginning ...

And what about of "app "enable"? Ah, ok... Linksys will relese a patch firmware in order to update/enable the "app function"...

Probably the EA4500 have a powerfull hardware but from firmware side have huge lags.

App Enabled means available access to your home network anytime, anywhere. This is through certain applications such as Cisco Connect Express, among others, and soon Cisco Connect Cloud! :smileywink: