Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Linksys
Product Review

RE1000 - Does not filter MAC ADDRESS

I bought this to extend the range of my new Linksys 3200, thinking that they would be compatible. Silly me! After spending 3 plus hours screwing around with this, I got online and happened to stumble on a post from another user, that stated that this device DOES NOT FILTER MAC ADDRESSES! So, if you want to use mac filtering you can't use this! Ridiculous! Some basic instructions to inform users of this fact would be helpful. But it comes with no manual or instructions whatsoever. Save your money.

Brenda

Re: RE1000 - Does not filter MAC ADDRESS

You can do MAC filtering, indeed. But because it is a proxy repeater, you have to define both the global MAC of the client and the virtual MAC that the RE1000 calculates, in the MAC filtering table of the router. 

One way to find the vitual MAC addresses is to look at the DHCP table in the router , the virtual MAC have bit 2 of the first byte always on (xxxx xxx1x ). If your MAC address is 00 02 8A xx xx xx, the calculated global will be 02 xx xx xx xx xx.

Another way to find out about the virtual MAC , and actually the most accurate, is to access the RE1000 UI, and go to Status/ Statistics/ Wireless Client MAC table or Wired client MAC table , there you have a table with all the connected clients, their MAC address and the calculated Virtual MAC.

Brenda wrote:

You can do MAC filtering, indeed. But because it is a proxy repeater, you have to define both the global MAC of the client and the virtual MAC that the RE1000 calculates, in the MAC filtering table of the router. 

One way to find the vitual MAC addresses is to look at the DHCP table in the router , the virtual MAC have bit 2 of the first byte always on (xxxx xxx1x ). If your MAC address is 00 02 8A xx xx xx, the calculated global will be 02 xx xx xx xx xx.

Another way to find out about the virtual MAC , and actually the most accurate, is to access the RE1000 UI, and go to Status/ Statistics/ Wireless Client MAC table or Wired client MAC table , there you have a table with all the connected clients, their MAC address and the calculated Virtual MAC.

Brenda Thanks for the info when I put the virtual address it works great but pretty soon I will be out of the MAC Address Filter List space on my 4200 then what will be the solution? Thanks

ggbauer

My apologies for being dense but I don't know what UI (User Instructions?) means nor have I figured out how to access it if I did. Nor do I understand the instructions in the second paragraph on how to calculate the global address from the specific. Any help would be appreciated as, like the previous poster I've spent several hours and have gottten nowhere. In advance, thanks for any help you can provide.

garryggreen

I have a 2 story + basement house.  The Computer in question is in the basement and router is on the 2nd floor.  Wifi signal was 0-1 bar max, so I bought the RE1000 and put it on the 1st floor.  When computer connects to it, I get 5 bars - GREAT so far.

I told the computer to connect to SSID ABC123; now there are two ABC123 SSID's - the router's and the RE1000's. 

Apparently randomly, the computer will connect to the router's ABC123 SSID and get 1 bar, or the RE1000 and get 5 bars. Once it connects to the router, it stays connected to the router at 1 bar until I manually intervene.  This is not practical if I am not at home.

Since I don't seem to be able to tell Windows 7 which of the duplicate SSID's to connect to (a utility to connect by MAC address rather than SSID), I can't control what my computer connects to.  It does NOT pick the stronger signal of the duplicate SSID's - 50% of the time it connects directly to the router at 1 bar and stays there!!!!!!  This is not ok. That's the first problem.

The 2nd problem is all of my home computers are accessed from outside of the home.  Since I access all of my the computers from the Internet, I have to define port forwarding rules in the router.  No router that I know allows forwarding a Port to a particular MAC address; you can only forward a port to an IP address.  So this requires that my computers have DHCP Reserved (so called DHCP Static) IP addresses, which map MAC addresses to IP addresses.  This worked fine until the RE1000.  No router that I know will allow you to define 2 different MAC addresses mapping to the same IP address - it tells you "duplicate IP address".  Because I can't control which of the duplicate SSIDs my computer will connect to (direct to the router, or via the RE1000), I can't control which MAC address is presented to the router, and therefore I can't assign my computer a consistent IP address.  Defining each computer as Static is not an option.

So I have two questions: due to the duplicate SSIDs, why would a fully patched/current Windows 7 system, seeing duplicate SSID ABC123, choose the "direct to router at 1 bar" route 50% of the time, and the 5 bar RE1000 the other 50% of the time? 

There is no mention on MS about what W7 does when its been told to connect to SSID ABC123 and it gets two of them - how it decides which one it will pick, but it 100% definately DOES NOT pick the duplicate SSID with the strongest signal.

This is something that Cisco should have tested and dealt with before marketing this device.  I need a solution as this is completely unacceptable.  If necessary, please escalate to senior technical for resolution.  I have 37 years in computers, so we should be able to skip the more mundane actions.

If this can't be resolved, I will return the RE1000 as it is incompatible with Windows 7.  Why would I want a device that works this way, being bypassed 1/2 the time with no improvement in signal, and without any control?

Thank-you.

Jake_2.0

turn off the router and then connect to the range expander's SSID, by the time you are now connected then turn on the router. You can also disable the router's SSID broadcast so that you will be sure that you are connected to the range expander's ssid.

downeast549

I have a E2500 router, I was adding the Extender because of the size of the office.  I set my router up to "Permit only" Mac IDs', right there I should have questioned why nothing worked.  The Package & the base of the unit both had a matching MAC ID - to bad that the unit had a different one.  I don't remember how much time I spent but finally disable the MAC ID Filter on the router and got the real one.  From that point on, everything worked, I even was able to setup with the router internal security switch.  Just think how a little thing like an ID would make an IT Guy just a little more mis-trustful, not count the grey hair.

Expert
zee29

downeast549 wrote:

I have a E2500 router, I was adding the Extender because of the size of the office.  I set my router up to "Permit only" Mac IDs', right there I should have questioned why nothing worked.  The Package & the base of the unit both had a matching MAC ID - to bad that the unit had a different one.  I don't remember how much time I spent but finally disable the MAC ID Filter on the router and got the real one.  From that point on, everything worked, I even was able to setup with the router internal security switch.  Just think how a little thing like an ID would make an IT Guy just a little more mis-trustful, not count the grey hair.

Wow... very unusual. So that mac address on the hardware was the incorrect one? How did you find the right one? I hope that not all extenders are like this. Was checking on my wireless bridge and it shows the correct mac address both on the hardware and in my router interface.

downeast549

The MAC Address both on the unit AND the box it came.  After, 5 days of working on it (I don't have luxury of walking away) I remember one of my customers received a new IPOD, she couldn't link to any of the Wireless Networks I maintain.  Went to my routers that have MAC address filtering Enabled - Permit addresses below Allowed. And Disabled that Option 

She immediately connected - her MAC ID showed on the screen labeled "MAC ID List".  I checked the save box and went back and Enabled the MAC Filter in the routers.  One big caution - when you Disable this option, when it is Enabled again the List goes back to Default (Prohibit) which as soon as the option is saved - it locks out everyone that is on it, lots of upset customers and this option is for Wireless.  So be sure to use a cabled connection to get back in if you have an "Out of Mind Experience" like I so often do

opheliaimmortal23

That is a great suggestion there. Thanks!