Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Linksys
Product Review

RE1000 - Unable to connect

I am an IT guy by trait so I know a little about what I am doing. I purchased the RE1000 to extend the range of our 802.11g wireless network in our home knowing full well that there would be a few issues with connectivity most likely by reading the other postings both here and on-line, but I was OK with that. We purchased the RE1000 and set it up later that night. Ease of setup was excellent. Pull it out of the box, plug it in to an outlet, use the provided CATV cable to connect to a computer and away you go with the setup of the RE1000. By the way, web interface is the easiest method to set it up via; go to http://192.168.1.1 from a web browser, no username and password is admin by default; I don't believe in installing more software on my computer than I need to and that is all this device came with was a CD with everything on it.
Got the device all setup and attempted to connect to the 5 of 5 bar wireless network in the house; no luck. After two tech support live chat sessions with Cisco (owner of Linksys) and telling the tech the exact error from the log on the RE1000 4 separate times, it came down to this direct quote from the tech: from Roselyn E. (22834) to All Participants: RE1000 are designed for N and Eseries routers of Linksys." I am running the most popular of the 802.11g APs from Linksys, the WRT54G.
So the bottom line here is it you are not running an N-series or E-series router from Linksys, don't waste your time or money on this device.

forsaken

Re: RE1000 - Unable to connect

In order expand the wireless signal you can go for RE1000 (Range Extender). The RE1000 is meant to extend the range of an 802.11n network. While the device has the ability to extend the signal for a traditional 802.11g router. However, it will only run on a wireless-G speed.. The reason for this is because the RE1000 is built to extend 2.4 Ghz 802.11n signals which use MIMO as well as other advanced technologies, if attempting to extend a G network you will not achieve the desired performance because it is not optimized to extend standard 802.11G signals.

Lastly and most importantly, remember that in order to get the best performance from an RE1000 you need to place the extender in an area where you still have at least 50% signal strength to your router when you place it in the final location where the RE1000 will be used. To configure the RE1000 you will need to login to the UI after you have put the RE1000 in the final location to verify the signal strength below is a reminder about signal bars and what they mean as a reminder

For ALL configurations you should have between 2-3 bars of signal at the very least. If you have less we will need to move the RE1000 closer to the router. You can also check the status on the status page of the RE1000 as well. On the status page it measures both Signal Strength and Signal Quality. If either set of bars is red you must move the RE1000 closer to the Router.