Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
tpearson

Re: An Alternative to Sololink and Set-up problems

DJ if your home connection has a permanent IP address then this may work for you but most people have not which is why DYNDNS is useful but the likelihood is anyway your company will have setup their Firewall so that you won't be able allowed to link your camera via the intranet bridge to the internet. This happened to me too :smileysad:   You need to get a laptop to a wi-fi hotspot to see your webcam in these circumstances.  Good luck.

JMX444

Hey aj. I had exactly the same issues and setup challenges as you. I followed your advice, including the references to other earlier threads, and I thought that I too had cracked it as it was all working when I left it using the DynDNS domain name to find it in the internet. My Webcam is over a 100 miles from my normal base so its a pain to have to go all the way back to change heh settings again but looks liek I have to as teh IP address of my router has changed since I was there and I can't access it now remotely. I have a few  questions for you: (1) Can you still see your webcam across the internet a week after you set it up the way you described? I'm guessing if so that the DynDNS is working OK (2) I have a different router to you (Belkin) but it also has the settings for accepting DDNS services. Unfortunately I did not enable this which is maybe why it doesnt work now- would you agree ie is it essential to do this? (3) Is there a way you can check the webcam is really working across the internet whilst you are still actually physically with it ie I think I may have fooled myself into thinking it was working because I was looking at it from 'inside' my wireless LAN, even though I was typing in the DynDNS address into my browser? Any advice greatly appreciated

wondering

I have the D-Link DI-624 router and the WVC54GC camera. I got it all working in a couple of hours according to the instructions. Even the Sololink works. However, I have a question and this may be simply because I misunderstood the meaning of "no PC necessary". When I am running the home PC, everything works exactly as advertized to include the remote monitoring. When my son in another state typed in http://wvc54gc.name.ourlinksys.com it returns an IP address and a redirect link like http://name.ourlinksys.com:1024/. The redirect link doesn't work, but if he types in the IP address he can view the camera.

When I went on a trip last week, I turned off the home PC and attempted to view the camera via the http://wvc54gc.name.ourlinksys.com link. It returned an IP address but I was unable to connect to the camera using either the lik or the IP address. No luck all week even though the IP address did change periodically..... Something seemed to be working but not sure what. Anyway, got home last night, fired up the home computer and now the camera works fine to include remote access.

So what is going on here. Is a home network computer required to be on for the camera to work? My intend is to reinstall the camera in a very remote location so I can monitor my property remote over a satellite link and I would prefer to not have the camera dependent on having a computer running.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
tpearson

Only a guess but have you configured 'port forwarding' on your network router to point it towards your camera server IP address (see Appendix A - Troubleshooting bullet 9 in manual) if not then this might explain the problem your having.
wondering

Thanks for the tip. I double-checked and the port forwarding is set up correctly.
tpearson

Hmm well I presume you have camera working as wireless and not connected by ethernet cable to the router?  If so then it might be worth changing from Sololink to DynDNS as per instructions from page 1 onwards of this thread as this service provider seems more reliable especially as you mentioned your IP address changes frequently. Make sure you also download DNS updater software too.

Unfortunately, the downloadable DNS updater software resides on the PC not the camera so will only update the IP address when it changes if the PC is left powered up although there is an option to run it as a service on the PC so you don't have to be logged in to Windows when you go away.

The Linksys camera resident software does suggest it will check IP address independent of the PC being on every 4 hours (by default) with the chosen DDNS host site but mine keeps reporting it's failed to update for some reason so I have a few probs myself although I can still access camera locally and remotely. This is obviously a tricky area so I'd welcome other peoples tips on this as well.

wondering

Yes, it is set up as a wireless camera. Having the DNS updater reside on a PC sort of defeats the purpose of having an Internet camera, it would seem to me. In my situation where I want to do unattended monitoring, probably would not work. Besides if a PC must be running than a simple, much cheaper USB camera would work just as well.

The Linksys WVC54GC camera clearly states on the box "Built-in stand-alone web server, no PC necessary." In my mind that means I should not have to have a PC running so the camera can function as an Internet accessable device. The DNS updates appears to reside in the camera. At least, any adjustment to the setting are done after logging into the camera.

One other issue and this may be related, the camera will not send an email on motion detection. The error is:

03/10/2007 19:15:59 SMTP: Error during the connection or timeout.
03/10/2007 19:12:49 Alert: Triggered.

This may be due to a router setting or port issue as Outlook can send email ok. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

BLAZER26

Re: An Alternative to Sololink

I have the WVC54GC camera and the WRT54G wirless router, I have set up everthing following Phil's instructions. But what about the wirless router do I have to set it up or not? I have created the DYNDNS acount and set up host. The WVC54GC camera ddns setup only have sololink, does not have DYNdns
I need more info on the camera setup It won't connect. I have followed Phil's instructions to the letter but he has WVC200 camera, so the setup browser is different from WVC54GC setup browser. Does any one have the same camera and wireless router as mine, I would appreciate giving me instructions on how get the camera set up working.

blazer

wondering

I have discovered some additional hints to the WVC54GC and SoloLink issue. Apparently the camera is not updating the SoloLink DDNS database. If after a period of time, when I type in the link, the returned IP address is not correct. It does not match the IP address in the router. If I enter the router's IP address the camera comes right up. Intersting. I have changed the camera's DDNS updating from 4 hours to 30 minutes. Maybe by attempting to update the SoloLink DDNS more often the camera will work as advertised. If anyone has any thoughts please add them to the thread.
Thanks
tpearson

Blazer - You need to setup port forwarding on your wireless router (see previous messages in thread) and add your login details to your DDNS service. On the camera front you can insert the DynDNS service details on the Sololink screen just overtype Sololink with alternate address, login details (see previous messages).

Wondering - Your problem with Sololink is why I switched to DynDNS as it is more realiable so I'd be interested to hear if your shortening the update period to 30 mins actually works.