ritz

Config Help with VOIP+VLAN with SRW2008mp and SGE2000P

Hi there.  I'm trying to help a friend set up their VOIP service in their office.  Their vendor asked that they segment their network into 2 VLANS, one for voice and one for data.  Their core switch is a Linksys SGE2000P and they have several SRW2008MP as workgroup switches.

The idea is to connect their phones (Cisco 7960) to the switch port and then connect their laptops to the "PC port" on the phone.  The manuals for both switches don't offer any guidance on how to configure this.  I'm assuming that the phone needs to tag VOIP traffic and the rest of the traffic will be part of the default VLAN.

The vendor is only willing to help if we use Catalyst switches when I am quite sure the Linksys switches they have are quite capable of doing the job.

Could someone give me a push in the right direction?  I'm floundering. 

Best regards, 

crash-n-burn

Re: Config Help with VOIP+VLAN with SRW2008mp and SGE2000P

we have a similar set-up here only we are using SRW224P and the SPA942 IP phones...we also have a Cisco Router that handles the DHCP per VLAN

anyway, the config that was done on the switch was that they member all the ports to VLAN 1 (native - untagged) and 2

-- port configuration is General and they are set to Tagged

-- configured VLAN ID 2 on the SPA942 IP phones and connected computers on the phones

ritz

Here's what I ended up doing.  It seems to work.  

Created VLAN "4" on all the switches. 

Configured all ports on the SGE2000P as "general" except those that connected to a workgroup switch.  Those were changed to "trunk" and "tagged".

Configured all ports on the SRW2008P as "general" except the one that connects to the core SGE2000P switch.  Those were changed to "trunk" and "tagged". 

This works with phones that are connected to any port on either the core or workgroup switches.  It's nice having POE so we don't need any of the wall warts for the phones.  The 7960 only draws about 4 watts so there's more than enough power even if every port serviced a phone.

The only gotcha at the moment is that sometimes the phones grab an invalid dhcp address from our internal firewall rather than from the VOIP router (the vendor insisted that the VOIP router not pass through the firewall).  Eventually, the phone seems to sort out that it's confused (after a long pause of a few minutes) and connects to the proper DHCP server on the VOIP router.  If anyone has a solution for that, I'd be grateful.

All in all, I'm pleased with the performance of the Linksys switches.  I just wish there was an easier way to configure them with a CLI rather than having to wade through the very pokey web interface.  All of the configuration options are not available with the CLI.   In any case, they seem good enough and saved us a pile of money over buying POE capable Catalyst switches.

Best, 

ritz

Update:  OK, I am clearly doing something wrong.  Our VOIP router DHCP server and the internal firewall DHCP server are occassionally stepping on eachother's toes (a phone grabs a PC IP address or a PC grabs a phone address).  Anyone have suggestions to sort that out?

Best,

crash-n-burn

maybe you need to setup the VLAN number on your DHCP servers (like VLAN 4 for the DHCP server of phones, etc) ... also, make sure you configured the VLAN number on the IP phones itself