Sirius_Black

EG005w problems

have a 2 computer set-up for now. I use the Linksys EG005W switch

there's one computer working perfectly using a linksys EG1032 (asus p4pe )

The other one :
asus p5b deluxe wi-fi with intel pro 1000 pci-e x1 desktop gigabit network adapter

I get alternative messages at the bottom of my screen :
1. a network cable is unplugged
2. local area connection is connected 1.0 gbps

Everything is fine with the switch (Linksys EG005W) when I plug my p5b all alone. The same occurs if I open my P4Pe alone.Unfortunately when I open my p4pe and my p5b those messages below right appear again on the 2 computers.

However if I set my Nic to 100mbps everything functions. Any ideas why ? I bought the EG005w to be able to transfer at 1Gbps not at 100Mbps

Hoping someone could help me with this one.

With Regards

peanuts

Re: EG005w problems

HI...
Are u also connecting a modem to the switch?
Also trying assigning a static IP address to both the computers in the same network range.i.e Assign desktop IP address 192.168.1.10 SM 255.255.255.0 and assign the laptop IP address 192.168.1.20 SM 255.255.255.0
Now check whether the computers are able to transfer the files at the required speed.

Sirius_Black

Hi Peanuts,

I did exactly what you are suggesting: I gave a static IP adress to each computer. I have no modem connected to the switch. These computers won't be connected to the internet.

The static adress I gave are : computer one : 192.168.34.27  SM 255.255.255.0
                                               computer 2    :  192.168.34.33  SM 255.255.255.0

I'm wondering if the switch is in good shape. Unfortunatly There are not many 1Gbps switches available to compare. Are there any other tweaks that I'm forgetting in order to make this network functions properly??

Thanks peanut for taking the time!

With regards

peanuts

please specify as to how are the computers connected?? because i don't think u really need 2 different switches for just 2 computers....
and when only one computer is connected to the switch , how do u exactly check whether the communicating at 1 gbps or less...
Sirius_Black

Hi Peanuts,

Here is how everything is connected:

2computers that I try to link together using Linksys EG005w(if it works I will link a third one)

I use cat6 cables (belkin gold series) I connect those from the NIC of each computer to the EG005W.
I give a static IP adress to each computer  192.168.34.27 for computer 1 and 192.168.34.28 for computer 2.

Subnet mask for each computer : 255.255.255.0

No DNS server adress

LMhosts lookup is enable

netbios setting is at default

In my local area connection properties I check  the "show icon in notification area when connected" to see if my computers connect correctly and it shows the speed.

Hoping that what I wrote may help someone to find what is my problem

With regards
Sirius_Black

I've just tried a cross-over cable with each computer. The connection is perfect at 1Gbps. Can we conclude that my switch has a problem??

best regards!
bobbodavis

I don't have this particular switch.  However, you will want to make sure that port speeds on the switch match those of your pc's (it appears you already tested that they communicate at 1GB, but are you positive that both of your pc's have gigabit ethernet cards in them?). 

By default the switch is probably set to either full duplex/auto or half duplex/auto.  You want to make sure each port in use is set to full/1000 if you want gigabit. This is a common problem with new switches as they are set to work right ouf of the box on auto, but the auto negotiate can be a real problem in many networks.

Also, make sure that the switch IP is in the same subnet as your router.  Also make sure that the switch ip is not in the DHCP range of the router as you don't want the router trying to assign the switch an IP when it already has a static IP. 

As you mentioned before too, wiring can also be a problem.  You need strait through cables from your switch to each pc and a cross over from the router to the switch.  With most new routers/switches these days,the cabeling really shouldn't matter anymore unless of course the cables were not termed correctly and they're just bad. Recommend if all else fails that you swap out all of your cat 6e cables for new ones just to be sure.