Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dhubler

EZXS55W Ver. 3 Question

I have a Linksys EZXS55W hub that i am using with my Time Warner Cable modem. Here is a terrible MS Paint drawing of how its set up.

Now my problem is that no matter how many times i restart my whole setup and unplug / replug everything i can still only connect to one thing at a time. For instance, if i turn on my computer first it will connect to the internet, but when i turn on my xbox 360 it will not. If i turn on my 360 first it will connect to xbox live, but my computer will not connect to the internet. Do i need to unlock some ports or something?
oook

Re: EZXS55W Ver. 3 Question

sorry dhubler but i cannot see the image that you've sent...could you please send me a link instead of image...also tell me the entire network setup that you have.
dhubler

http://www.chuteboxeguild.com/cablemodem.JPG I have the cable jack from the wall going into my RCA DCM425 Cable Box From the RCA DCM425 a cable connects to the Linksys EZXS55W From the Linksys EZXS55W there are two cords, one to my xbox and one to my computer.
oook

the problem is , the cable modem allows only one active internet connection at a time....if you want to connect multiple devices to the internet...you need to buy a router ....
dhubler

Ok. Is there a good one you can recommend to me?
oook

for the wired routers , you can pick any of the following
BEFSR41 , BEFSR81 , BEFSX41

for the wireless routers ,
WRT54G , WRT54GS , WRT54GL
CowboyGP

oook~

I'm jumping into this conversation in response to your statement:

"the problem is , the cable modem allows only one active internet connection at a time....if you want to connect multiple devices to the internet...you need to buy a router ...."

I'm not disputing you, but your comment forces me to ask --- why are switches advertised as allowing multiple platforms to "share" a connection?

And why did the Geek at Best Buy tell me that a switch was all I needed to achieve the desired result?

All I want to do is have my Xbox 360 and my computer connect to the internet through the same modem. I don't want to have to power-on and power-off every time I want to access the internet with a different platform. I don't want to switch cables. I want to turn on my xbox, or click Internet Explorer on my PC and be connected.

From your above comment, I'm guessing that if I turn off my PC, I'll be able to go online with my xbox.

Seems to me that they should be called "valves" rather than "switches". A switch routes current equally to everything downstream. A valve restricts flow in one direction to allow more in another.

Looks like I wasted another 50 bucks.
Expert
Expert

I'm not disputing you, but your comment forces me to ask --- why are switches advertised as allowing multiple platforms to "share" a connection?

Where did you find this? A switch allows multiple platforms to connect to each other. But it does not "share" a connection. The latter does not really exist but in general this "sharing" is considered to be what the router does, sharing your single public IP address with multiple computers inside your LAN.

And why did the Geek at Best Buy tell me that a switch was all I needed to achieve the desired result?

Well, there are numerous possible reasons for that:

* I don't know which result you wanted to achieve. You can "share" your modem with two computers through a switch. "Sharing" in this context would mean that one computer can use it at any time. But you don't have to rewire each time you want to use the other computer.

* Some ISPs allow you to have multiple public IP addresses at a time. You therefore can attach multiple computers to a switch and wire it to the modem. Each computer has its own public IP address then. Some ISPs give you that. Some only give you a single one and if you want more you'll have to pay for that.

* Some modems already include router functions.

* The geek did not know what he was talking about.

All I want to do is have my Xbox 360 and my computer connect to the internet through the same modem. I don't want to have to power-on and power-off every time I want to access the internet with a different platform. I don't want to switch cables. I want to turn on my xbox, or click Internet Explorer on my PC and be connected.

Well, depending on your ISP this may be possible or not, whether they give you multiple public IP addresses or not. If not, you'll need a router.

Seems to me that they should be called "valves" rather than "switches". A switch routes current equally to everything downstream. A valve restricts flow in one direction to allow more in another.

This is not about currents. The switch does not restrict anything in any direction. This is about packet communication. A hub is a device which receives packets on one port and sends them out on all other ports. A switch is a little bit more intelligent and remembers which devices is connected on which port. If you send something to a particular device connected to the switch the switch will receive the packet on one port and will only forward it to the port to which the destination device is connected to.

Neither a hub or a switch limit or block or restrict anything.

The restriction is on the side of the ISP. They choose either to give you as many IP addresses you like (or at least a couple of them) or they allow you only to have a single one. If you only can have a single IP address at a time this IP address can only be used by a single device at a time. It is not possible for two devices to use the same IP address at the same time. This would be an IP address conflict. IP addressing must be unique.

Thus, it is not the switches fault if it works or not. It is a problem with your ISP which only allows you to have a single public IP address at a time. If you want more you have to pay them. Or you use a NAT router like all those broadband routers. They due network address translation mapping multiple private IP addresses to the single public IP address and relaying all communication between the internet and the private LAN.
DONNA2000

I NEED THE SOFTWARE FOR 10/100 workGROUP switch model EZXS55W I LOST THE CD LIKE TO SET UP A PC TO IT
Expert
Expert

There is no software. Just plug the cable in. That's all you can do with the switch.

If you need the user guide, it is available for download from the Linksys website. Just click on the Downloads link on the home page...