Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

NIC Settings & transfer speed

[ Edited ]
I have a few computers networked through a Linksys EF4116 switch, which is supposed to handle 10/100mbs. Unfortunately I'm lucky to get 6-7. The switch itself connects back to a Verizon provided router for my FIOS service.

Cabling is all cat 5e run through patch panels.

I can't help but think that the default NIC settings are not optimal. But they are all greek to me.

These are the options for the gigabit card in my new Dell XPS 410 running Vista. Other machines run XP. The switch, I know, is not capable of gigabit speeds, and neither are the other computers. But I stil think I should get better speed. In fact, my internet speed is great, its just my computer to computer speed that bogs down.

adaptive inter frame spacing
Flow COntrol
Interrupt moderatio n
interupt moderation rate
IPV4 checksum offload
jumbo packet
large send offload v2 (IPv4)
larges send offload v2 (IPv6)
link speed & duplex
locally administered address
log link state event
Priority and VLAN
receive buffers
tcp checksum offload IPv4
tcp checksum offload IPv6
transmit buffers
UDP checksum offload IPv4
UDP checksum offload IPv6
wait for link

If this is too much to ask, can you recomend some reading?

Thanks, Carlos

Message Edited by cbonilla on 02-26-200706:59 PM

Message Edited by cbonilla on 02-27-200703:33 AM

Mort

Re: NIC Settings & transfer speed

HI...
                       On the windows vista computer change the adapter property link speed & duplex and set the value to 100 Mbps. Now check the speed between computers. Also make sure that all the firewalls on the computer are disabled.
jdeisenm

[ Edited ]

Normally, I set the link speed and duplex settings on my network adaptors to auto negotiate.

Message Edited by jdeisenm on 02-27-200701:50 PM

[ Edited ]
OK, I did a little more testing and maybe this info will help. As I said, I'm runiing a couple of computers connected to a Linksys EF4116 switch. (I used a switch this large because I ran multiple drops to have data port all over the house, so there are more drops than computers). This setup starts with Verizon FIOS 15mps service. I'm also running Vonage. Vonage has a utility which lets you test your connection speed. On each computer Vonage shows the same result, about 15mps service download speed and 2mps upload speed. Yet when I try to move files between these two computers I am lucky if I get 5-6 mps, often times less, maybe 1mps. One computer is a new Dell core 2 machine running Vista home premium. The other is a pentium 4 running XP pro. All the LAN cards have the latest drivers.

Switch also has a linkys 80211.g router connected to it with a different address (192.168.1.254) and with DHCP disabled) as there is a Verizon supplied outer before all this gear)

Both computers are connected directly to the Linksys switch via a patch panel which in turn is connected to the router through a patch panel -- I find it easier/more reliable  to make connections at a patch panel than toi try and put plugs on a cat 5e cable. (and when I get this running smoothly there will be another similar switch in the house connected to more drops)

All wiring is new cat 5e.

At the swith the Link/Acct light is solid green showing connection established, and blinking when there is activity. The FDX/Col light is yellow showing a full duplpex connection. I don's see the FDX/Col light blinking to indicate collisions.

Also, from each computer I pinged the router. All the pings came back with no loss and no delays.

Any thoughts?

Message Edited by cbonilla on 02-28-200708:32 AM

Figured out the problem so I thought I would share. Turned out to be a windows firewall problem. When I disable the firewalls I get throughput of 80-90 Mps. Yes, I know I have to enable the firewall, and I will as soon as I can make it work with the firewalls active. Needless to say, I was very relieved to confirm that the wiring I ran in the house (24 drops total) actuall work and I hadn't wasted all that time/money/energy.

Carlos