SRW series super-secret CLI mode!

It looks like strobhen beat me to this discovery.  There is a hidden Cisco-like CLI mode available to the SRW series switches!

strobhen already explained how to get to it, but it's a discovery worthy of it's own post to make sure that owners know about it's existance.

--

Linksys SRW Switch Secret CLI Mode HowTo
--

1.) ssh, telnet, or console into the switch as you normally would.  Do not use the http/web interface.

2.) Log in with the menu system, using a valid, existing, account.
    2.a) Provide the username and password, then "execute".
    2.b) The "Operation complete" response is received.  Press any key.

3.) At the "Switch Main Menu", Press CTRL+z.

4.) A carrot > command line will appear.  Type in "lcli" (Light-weight Command Line Interface?) and press Enter.
    4.a) There is also a "debug" and "mcli" mode.  However, they are password protected.  The password is probably hard-coded into the firmware.
    4.c) I wonder what "mcli" mode is.  Perhaps just an alias for the menu interface?

5.) Log in once again, with the same credentials which you used before.

6.) You are now in a light-weight Cisco-like CLI mode.
    6.a) Many, but not all, readline-like key strokes work, such as ctrl+a,e,u,k,h, and up/down.
    6.b) Press ? for possible commands.

--

Other notes;

There is no need to "write mem".  Commands are committed immediately.

"show startup" will dump the configuration.

To turn off console logging, which can be quite disturbing, issue the config command "no logging console".

"show bridge addr" will dump the CAM table, like "show mac-addr dyn" on IOS switches.

"show inter status" gives you a quick view of all switch ports on the system.

--

Since I now know this is possible, I know how to dig a little deeper into this switches capabilities.

If you want to know just how many hidden gems these switches have, just SNMP walk the full index.  If only there was a MIB available to help decrypt some of the mystery.
Ret

Re: SRW series super-secret CLI mode!

Very interesting tip!! Thank you very much! I've browsed a little on the different commands. I can't believe why Linksys/Cisco hides this from the user. Let's keep on posting tips like this! Regards PS: does any1 know how to backup all config data?
Expert
Expert

You can backup the configuration with webview. You can also copy the startup-config to a tftp server using the CLI.

I imagine that it's not completely tested and documented, or they don't want the Linksys branded products competing with the much more expensive Cisco switch line products. I don't see them competing, yet. There are plenty of features and far far superior support for Cisco products. However, Linksys needs to realize that companies like Netgear are competing with both Cisco and Linksys and they don't care about dumbing down part of their product line. Cisco is shooting themselves in the foot though for anyone looking for PoE switches. If you want to deck out a rack with 48 PoE ports, you have to buy into Cisco's 3560 or 3750 series -- a HUGE waste of money. For PoE, businesses want 10/100 ports, PoE capable, with just the basic features.
Highlighted

I'm sorry but unable to logon to the lcli with serial port , my switch is an SRW 224P latest firmware release , Image Loader 2.0.0.1 , Diagnostic 2.0.0.2 , Runtime 2.0.1.4 , telnet it does not work , will try ssh but hopeless .
Ctlr+z or any  type of Ctrl+char do not show hidden lcli .
I'm stuck to use the Ios lcli only thru editing startup-config files upload and download .

Hello. How do I know the password for mcli? Plese. Thanks in advance. Nick.
Expert
Expert

So far, I think noone here found out the password for the mcli. The lcli uses your normal username and password.

Ok. Thanks. For example, and take =) Just interesting to see that the interface will be through mcli. Nick.
Expert
Expert

I have just noticed: if you enter help mcli it shows you the command in the mcli mode. It is a SNMP command line interface. I guess the password must be configured somewhere with the SNMP settings. I have to check later whether I find out which password it is exactly.