SRW224P Help with VLAN's and/or QoS

I installed a single SRW224P switch.  It's hardware version R01 and I upgraded the firmware to 2.0.1.6.  I have two problems so far.

Problem #1 - VLAN configuration doesn't survive power-cycle:

I've defined a simple VLAN containing ports 21-24 (untagged).  I want these switch ports completely isolated from the rest of my network, as if they are two seperate physical switches with no interconnection.

I use Maintenance => Save Config => Save Current Configuration and get a "Sucess" result.  I can see the VLAN definition and port assignments and everything works fine.  When I power-cycle the switch, everything but the default VLAN dissapears. 

This only occurs with VLAN configuration setiings; all other configuration assignments are saved and reapplied as expected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem #2 - Can't setup a VLAN with tagged packets:

We also use VoIP with IP telephones and an Asterisk server.  I create VLAN: 9, call it "VoIP" and enable it.  Then, I check the "Tagged" radio buttons for ports 13-20 and press "submit".  There are no success or failure warnings, but when the page refreshes, ports 13-20 show as "Untagged".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've downloaded and thoroughly read the updated documentation, but can't figure it out.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Expert
Expert

Re: SRW224P Help with VLAN's and/or QoS

Re 2: did you configure the ports in General or Trunk mode? You cannot tag traffic on Access mode ports. Access mode ports only work with a single untagged VLAN which is the default PVI for that port.

GV:

Thanks very much for the response. 

I did have the ports defined as "Access" and now understand that means that the port cannot be tagged.  Where can I find documentation that explains the differences and limitations associated with the "Access", "General" and "Trunk" definitions?

Also, I resolved problem #1.  It's a bug in the firmware that causes WebView to be inconsistent with actual configuration.  I spent several hours troubleshooting it and found that the VLAN name is NOT arbitrary.  If the VLAN name contains a space, the VLAN won't really be created or saved, but WebView will show it as valid until the next reset.  Until the next reset, WebView presents errors as you attempt to configure the non-existent VLAN (although you still see it in WebView).

One permanent fix would be to patch WebView to prevent the user from creating a VLAN name containing a space.  Another suggestion would be patching the switch firmware to not discard VLAN's if the name contains a space.

I'll post this information in again to make it easier for the next person to locate.

Thanks again for the help!
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
Correct. Access mode ports are untagged. All traffic belongs to a single VLAN.

For documentation look into the manual or read the WebView help. From my SRW2008:

Mode — Indicates the port mode. Possible values are:

– General — The port belongs to VLANs, and each VLAN is user-defined as tagged or untagged (full 802.1Q mode).

– Access — The port belongs to a single untagged VLAN. When a port is in Access mode, the packet types which are accepted on the port (packet type) cannot be designated. It is also not possible to enable/disable ingress filtering on an access port.

– Trunk — The port belongs to VLANs in which all ports are tagged (except for an optional single native VLAN).

Message Edited by gv on 06-06-200708:10 AM

ful

problem 1, don't use spaces in the VLAN name. The VLAN will disappear after a reset. Only the VLAN's without a space will "survive".