safsurfer

how many gigabites per second sd2008

hi all,

I have an sd2008 hooked up to 4 computers all with gigabit ethernet. cat 5 or 5e or maybe even cat 6 on one. I'm trying to figure out how fast I can move data from one computer to the other with this device, in gigabites not bits. I this it's 8 bits per bite, so whatever that math is, something like 125 megabites I think. so is that mean the gigabit device can move 125 megabites per second?

well in my test I moved 1 gigabite of data, .jpg's pictures. it was like 20 folders and gobs of photos. I drag and dropped from one computer to another and it took 45 seconds to copy. is that good? does my device seem to be runnin ok, fast or slow?

I think that computes to like 22.2 megabites per second, does that sound right? so that would only be 177.7 megabits per second. Isn't this suppose to be a one gigabit per second device?

any info would be nice, I'm trying to find out if I'm getting the most out of this device.

thanks
Expert
Expert

Re: how many gigabites per second sd2008

1 Byte (B) = 8 bit (b)
1 Kilobyte (KB) = 1024 Byte
1 Megabyte (MB) = 1024 KB
1 Gigabyte (GB) = 1024 MB

So obviously, e.g.

8 Gigabit = 1 Gigabyte.

To make some relevant speed tests you should compare transfer rates through the switch with transfer rates with a direct cross-cable connection. Many computers and some gigabit-ethernet network adapters are not able to send or receive a 1 Gb/s. If a network adapter is 1 Gb/s (or 1000 Mb/s) adapter it simply means that technically it is compatible with gigabit devices. Most likely it will be faster then fastethernet with 100 Mb/s speed but it does not mean you are necessarily able to transfer full speed.

Moreover, file transfers of directories with many files are inaccurate due to the file system overhead regarding directories. For more accurate results you should transfer a single large file or use a speed test suite which runs without any file transfer.

Anyway, do you speed tests through the switch. Then connect both computers with a gigabit-cross-cable to each other. Assign static IP addresses to the computers and then transfer the data again.

Compare the rates you get in both cases. Then you know exactly with accurate results how fast you can transfer and whether or not the switch slows the transfers down or not.
safsurfer

thanks for that info. so could you tell me does my numbers sound pretty accurate for that device, good or bad? that's pretty much what I got the device for was to transfer files all around between the four computers. pictures mainly, backing up office files, etc... I think it works to be 177 megabits or 22 megabites per second transfer on average no matter what I was transfering, although all tests were of multiple folders with many pics, docs, xls, etc... in them that added up to 1 gigabite, not one large file per sey.

thanks again.
Expert
Expert

What is "accurate" for this device? You have made the measurements. You know you accurate you have read the numbers. They are accurate for the tests you have made. They are accurate for the files you have transferred from the one computer to the other.

Again: the test you have made won't be very good in respect to maximum throughput. It involves too much file system activity to be good.

The switch will most likely handle 1 Gb/s traffic. Your computers, hard disks, or network adapters are not fast enough to bring you that speed.

Good oder bad? Well, the numbers you have seen are pretty normal for standard consumer-grade equipment.
safsurfer

again: thanks, that is what I was looking for, whether or not my switch was functioning accurately properly. I fully understand the whole file folder system thing, but that is what I am doing, the main switch function. My concern is that my swiitch is operating properly doing that function. I just thought if I put those numbers out there, someone could tell me if they were good or bad for that switch. again: I appreciate your response. now I know that my switch is probably operating in the right ballpark.
Expert
Expert

Google for "ip throughput test" or similar for some software which does transmit and receive data as fast as possible without using files on the disk or similar. Again, compare the speed through the switch with the speed through a direct cross-cable connection. If both speeds are equal you know that you are at the limit of what your computers and network cards can deliver. If the switch is much slower then the direct connection you have hit the limit of the switch.

I think the speeds you have are good for normal equipment. I have slower file transfers but I know that my NAS only provides some 150 Mbit/s max.