Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Location Services in macOS High Sierra not working?

Recently upgraded to the Velop system for our home network. Location services now doesn't work in macOS. Works fine on iOS devices. Any ideas?

Previosuly we were using Airport Extreme as our base station with no issues.

Re: Location Services in macOS High Sierra not working?

Hi, anthonyzp,

This is the first time that this has been reported. Is the Velop system working properly? Is the macOS running on the latest version? For isolation, try setting up your Airport Extreme and see if the Location services are restored in macOS.

Jan - 22019
Linksys Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Is the Mac connected wirelessly or via Ethernet?

I only ask as location services in OSX is dependent upon wifi being enabled on the Mac - it basically listens for your neighbours wireless router and other 'background noise' to come up with a location (this link is for IOS, but the operation is the same for OSX, AppleTV's etc)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207056

Not sure if that 'service' was being brokered by the Aiport Extreme previously, but it should be derived by the Mac itsef.

[ Edited ]

Thank you for reply. Velop system is running well. Fully operational. Running the latest firmware. We are running the latest version of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4.

We purchased the Velop system two days ago and location services does not work when MacBook connected to the Velop wifi.

When we connect Airport Extreme router to the MacBook, location services is restored.

Wifi

Interesting - under 'system prefs' / 'Date & Time' / 'Timezone' on the Mac, what does it show? Any errors or messages?

Checked all settings on Mac. Location services is selected in settings. All services and apps are selected. Tried all the basic troubleshooting steps to rectify. Still the issue.

My feeling is the Velop is somehow blocking a particular port which macOS requires for location services?

We have three Macs in our household. All running same version of macOS High Sierra. All of the Macs have location services not working since we connected the Velop system. When we revert back to Airport Extreme as our router, location services is restored.

This tells me there is an issue between Velop and High Sierra possibly?

[ Edited ]

I have a theory. Without any surrounding wifi devices (or something else it can crowdsource) I suspect it may be trying to detect your location based on IP address / MAC address.

1) If you go to https://geoiptool.com/ from a browser, does it show you the correct location for your IP address that the ISP allocated to you. I would try this for both running with the Airport and then the Velop to prove it works for both.

2) I'm guessing this is a new Access Point, so as yet it may not have its MAC address recorded in the crowsourcing database. I had this once when I purchased a brand new router , and it took a few days to appear.

In that case I had to manually submit the MAC address of the router here;

http://skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

It took some time, but eventually it became 'known' - I suspect it may naturally be recorded by surrounding devices (unless you are in the middle of nowhere). Likely the iPhones etc you have are already submitting the info based on their own GPS location, so although its not a good technical answer it could be a 'wait' scenario..

Burrows,

You have been so very helpful thank you so much. I will definitely try your steps above. Interestingly enough Apple Support Staff also suggested we wait a few days given it is a brand new router / access point and to give it time to 'crowdsource' etc as you point out.

I will try your steps and also wait it out a few days and post results here.

Thanks again.

Anthony