yytellmey

SIP phone and SPA 3102

Hi,

I don't have an ipPBX or call signaling server. Can I register a SIP phone on the remote SPA 3102 then call the remote number. SPA 3102 is on remote site, the FXO port is connected to a phone line. My SIP phone is on local site, connected to Internet.

Thanks
hw
hw

Re: SIP phone and SPA 3102

yytellmey wrote:
Hi,
Can I register a SIP phone on the remote SPA 3102 then call the remote number. SPA 3102 is on remote site, the FXO port is connected to a phone line. My SIP phone is on local site, connected to Internet.

Yes you can do that. You need to know the ip address where you are calling. This is called direct ip dialing. You can call the SPA3102 and have the attached phone ring, or you can call the SPA3102 and have it dial a call out the pstn line. It all depends on what you want to do.

Initially you can get it working with whatever ip address you have at the moment. For the long term, if you don't have a static ip address you can get a symbolic address from someone like dyndns.com and then when your ip address changes you setup some means, either thru your router that supports dynamic dns, or with a pc program to keep your ip address updated at dyndns for your symbolic address.

You almost always have to forward the sip signalling port in your router to the SPA3102. You may also have to forward the spa's rtp ports in your router to the SPA3102.

There are a couple of ways to configure the SPA3102 when you want to bridge the call out the pstn line. The simple way is to just return a dial tone to the caller and then the caller enters the pstn number they want to dial. A more complicated way is to send a sip invite to the SPA3102 and have the SPA dial the number. The latter method is more reliable because you don't have to send dtmf signals over your voip link.
yytellmey

Thanks hw.

SPA-3102 doesn't support Dynamic DNS. Is there any new firmware upgrade to support DDNS?

I don't have a computer running with 3102 in the LAN. Can I use STUN server to get SPA talks to the other SIP phones? They all have a dynamic public IP from PPPoE.

Thanks. 
hw
hw

yytellmey wrote:
SPA-3102 doesn't support Dynamic DNS. Is there any new firmware upgrade to support DDNS?
Not to my knowledge. You need to buy a router that supports it and stop using the SPA3102 router. Third party dd-wrt supports it and will run on several brands of router hardware. Or, see below, skip the direct ip addressing and use a voip provider. A voip provider takes care of changing ip addresses thru the registration process.

I don't have a computer running with 3102 in the LAN. Can I use STUN server to get SPA talks to the other SIP phones? They all have a dynamic public IP from PPPoE.

You should skip the direct ip addressing and setup accounts with some voip provider that allows free calling between phones with accounts at the same provider. There are a number of pay-as-you-go providers that allow this.