Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
YF
YF

SPA 2102 - Firmware upgrade

I recently bought an SPA 2102.  Of course it is unlocked (I have full access to user and admin).  The Software Version is 3.3.6.  The Hardware Version is 1.2.5(a).  Everything is working fine.   I went to www.linksys.com to upgrade the firmware.  I noticed that current firmware is 5.1.9 dated 04/03/2007.  I was a little bit surprised with the huge gap between the current 3.3.6 in my SPA 2102 and the 5.1.9 posted on Linksys website as I bought my SPA 2102 a month ago.  Nevertheless, I tried to update the firmware I provide the IP address for my SPA (the same one I use to gain access to the setting webpage).  However I received a message “upgrade fail: No response from SPA”.

I have a feeling that my SPA is a SPA 2100 disguised in SPA 2102.  When I went to SIPURA website, I found that the latest firmware for SPA 2100 is 3.3.6.  The way I understand it is the SPA 2100 is phasing out and replaced by SPA 2102.  I will be concerned that I will have a sort of a phased out device.

I called Linksys technical support and they were slightly above useless.  The guy told me to contact my VoIP provider to upgrade the firmware.  I told him I have no VoIP provider as the ATA is unlocked.  He put me on hold for long time until the call got disconnected.  Usually I don’t count on telephone technical support.  Anyhow this is not the issue.  

Here are my questions:

1)      Did I miss something that prevented the upgrade of SPA 2102 to the 5.1.9 firmware?  What settings I should look for to allow the firmware upgrade?

2)      Should I upgrade my SPA 2102 to the 5.1.9 or I am considered part of the SPA 2100 family rather than the SPA 2102?

3)      If I am actually an SPA 2100 in a SPA 2102 box, will I damage my hardware or make it functionless if I upgrade to 5.1.9?

Scorpio-cz

Re: SPA 2102 - Firmware upgrade

[ Edited ]
Hello

>Here are my questions:

1) Did I miss something that prevented the upgrade of SPA 2102 to the 5.1.9 firmware? What settings I should look for to allow the firmware upgrade?

A1: very likely local FW on your windows machine prevented upgrade.
Try to switch it (temporarily) off and retry upgrade

2) Should I upgrade my SPA 2102 to the 5.1.9 or I am considered part of the SPA 2100 family rather than the SPA 2102?

A2: I think you do have SPA-2102. This shall be seen in the WEB interface, as well as on sticker on the bottom of the SPA device itself

3) If I am actually an SPA 2100 in a SPA 2102 box, will I damage my hardware or make it functionless if I upgrade to 5.1.9?

A3: As far as I know SPA-2100 will refuse to flash SPA-2102 firmware. So if you do not "modify unsupported way" the firmware binary file the device will DOWNLOAD any firmware BUT ONLY FLASH if the ID fits.

Please post your results after another upgrade try.

Message Edited by Scorpio-cz on 06-08-200703:03 PM

tkimes

I had the same issue with my SPA2102.

As I recall, what I had to do to get the upgrade to complete was to:

1) reset the SPA2102 to factory defaults (phone menu #73738). See page 7 of the install manual.
2) Download the firmware upgrade to the Windows PC. Make sure it's the firmware for the SPA2102, not the 2100. The file name is upg-spa2101-5-1-9.exe.
3) directly connect the Windows PC to the Ethernet port of the SPA2102 and let it receive a DHCP address. Make sure you can connect to the SPA2102 by launching a browser from the PC to the adapter's web administrative address: http://192.168.0.1
4) If you can connect to the adapter, then run the upgrade program: upg-spa2101-5-1-9.exe and follow its directions.

I've used my upgraded ATA on Viatalk for three weeks and so far it's working perfectly.
username1961

If I am not mistaken the upgrade program runs a tftp server on your PC and instructs the device to download the firmwate via tftp. You need to to make sure the network path between your Windows and the device is open. Including any firewall you may have installed on your windows machine. Let us know if that works
sardnyx27

i'd follow tkimes suggestion except for the reset part...just connect your computer directly to the ethernet port of the SPA2102 and make sure you are getting 192.168.0.x as your IP address (of course this is assuming you still use the default LAN IP address of 192.168.0.1)

when asked for the IP address you type 192.168.0.1.. if that didn't work then you might need to reset it to factory default :smileyhappy:
gautam

Dear,

I am having the same problem.

"upgrade failed .. no responce from spa''

I did everything you all suggested but with no luck.

If you resolve this issue please let me know.

Love, .... krishna
Hanamichi

Krishna, this worked for me. I just connected my computer directly to the LAN/Ethernet port of the SPA-2102 and run the firmware upgrade executable file. I initially had the same problem since my computer was connected to the main router.

gautam

Beloved Hanamichi,

I followed your instruction but it didn't work.
So I went and bought PAP2T , now I can have both lines working.
But PAP2T also refuses to take its new firmware.
Finally I have given up and am waiting for any new ATA to come with a completely new web update software.

Thanks,

With all my love,

Krishna ....
gautam

Beloved Hanamichi,

My modem and router was old so I went and bought AM300 modem and WRVS4400N router. Connected modem to the router and PAP2T to router and router to computer. After configuring modem and router I cleared PAP2T to factory default. Turned off router's and also PC's firewall and then when I tried to upgrade the firmware - it upgraded smoothly. I feel winning and happy now. I have never let any hardware or software put me down.

Thanks for your encouragement and wishing you a very beautiful day.

With all my love,

Krishna ....