Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jetxu

can i upgrade PAP2-NA firmware?

i am using a PAP2-NA, firmware ver: 3.1.9(LSc), it is a unlocked PAP2.

can i download the latest PAP2 firmware 3.1.12 from linksys website to upgrade my PAP2-NA ?
XeSolutions

Re: can i upgrade PAP2-NA firmware?

I was able to with no problem.
jetxu

after you upgrade to the newer firmware, does the PAP2-NA locked to Vonage or not?
XeSolutions

no cause the lock isn't in the firmware its in the hardware...
albersag

If you upgrade firmware, your device will not be unlocked.
MaffooClock

I hate these conflicting replies. One person says you can upgrade the firmware in an unlocked PAP2. Someone else says precisely the opposite.

Would you all care to be a little more specific with why you can or can not upgrade the firmware in an unlocked PAP2? Backup your statements, please, so that other people who have this same issue (and inevitably, there are MANY) can be helped.
kezzab25

you can, pick up the phone, dial **** then wait for the prompt, then dial 73738 (reset) followed by #
Scorpio-cz

MaffooClock wrote:
I hate these conflicting replies. One person says you can upgrade the firmware in an unlocked PAP2. Someone else says precisely the opposite.

Would you all care to be a little more specific with why you can or can not upgrade the firmware in an unlocked PAP2? Backup your statements, please, so that other people who have this same issue (and inevitably, there are MANY) can be helped.

I think I can make it clear. Let's formulate it this way:

- in the case the PAP2-NA device had realy NEVER been locked by service provider (= it is realy the *-NA model) upgrade of the firmware from Linksys site is SAFE and device has no reason to get locked to any provider.

- in the case the PAP2-NA device is re-labelled "unlocked-by-brute-force" PAP2-VN, PAP2-R2 or similar device, then the "unlock-by-brute-force" will be invalidated by upgrade of the firmware (as the factory locking state is "burned" in the device hardware, independently of the firmware) and the device after upgrade of FW will get (re-)locked

Is this answer to your question ?
THORNIE

Scorpio-cz wrote:

MaffooClock wrote:

I think I can make it clear. Let's formulate it this way:

- in the case the PAP2-NA device had realy NEVER been locked by service provider (= it is realy the *-NA model) upgrade of the firmware from Linksys site is SAFE and device has no reason to get locked to any provider.

- in the case the PAP2-NA device is re-labelled "unlocked-by-brute-force" PAP2-VN, PAP2-R2 or similar device, then the "unlock-by-brute-force" will be invalidated by upgrade of the firmware (as the factory locking state is "burned" in the device hardware, independently of the firmware) and the device after upgrade of FW will get (re-)locked

Is this answer to your question ?

I'm new here. Hello everyone.

No, this doesn't quite answer the question. Please define what you mean when you say "factory locking state 'burned' in the device hardware".

I am certain nothing is burned.  If you mean flashed or programmed into memory (which is a hardware chip), you have not distinguished anything.  The firmware is flashed into a prom, and so is the other configuring stuff.  What distinguishes a Vonage PAP2 from a PAP2-NA is some memory location which normal people can't get to or don't know how to get to.  By normal people, I mean people who visit forums and have no engineering talent......layman.

THORNIE

I have a PAP2 disassembled in front of me right now.  The flash memory chip is a commonly available CMOS, 3 volt, 1meg by 8 (byte wide) flash memory chip.  It is part of the hardware in the PAP2.  There are 16 sectors of 64K each. There is sector protection aspects to this part that "lock part of it".  Is one of these 16 sectors where the Vonage ID is written, then locked so as not to be accessible to anyone in the field? Is this locked sector the "burn" you refer to?  If so then it is nothing more than a portion of the exact same integrated circuit that the firmware is stored in (as read / write).  So....this one sector has been locked to not permit the Vonage aspects to be erased and PAP2-NA aspects inserted? Am I right? Then the matter is simply unlocking that sector (temporarily) over-writing the area with what a PAP2-NA has in that area and whalla ! No more Vonage.