Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mckayc

Gmail with the WIP300

Is there any way to get the WIP300 to work with my gmail account? I tried it but it just seems to freeze up the phone.
forsaken

Re: Gmail with the WIP300

go through this link and check whether it helps you....
dkaufman

I don't see how the WIP300 will work with Gmail. According to their help you need to use an SSL connection when receiving and a TLS when sending. I do not see an option on the phone for either.
mckayc

Thanks forsaken for the link. I find it interesting that the site says "If you’re using a web-based E-mail account such as Yahoo! Mail and Google Mail, you can login to your email account to obtain the necessary settings." I tried doing everything but it is still not working. I used the information from http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287 Perhaps I have the wrong POP3 User ID or SMTP User ID and password? (I have just been using my gmail address with my login password).
dkaufman

Check out this link

http://mail.google.com/support/

BTW - I tried it on mine and confirmed it will not work.
humba3

Since GMail forces TLS and uses no standard ports, it's not surprising it won't work.. I don't think the phone can do TLS (somebody has an email server that does TLS but operates on the default SMTP/POP3 ports?). If you have a mail server not using standard ports (but not using encryption), you can try if specifying the port number as part of the server name works, e.g.

email.company.com:1234

This syntax does work for the SIP proxy so it might work for Email as well.
There are two essential pieces to tracking down a problem with your VoIP equipment:

The configuration of every device involved
SIP protocol traces

And don't forget: there's no such thing as giving too much information when describing a problem.
dkaufman

With the WIP300 you can specify the ports to use for POP3 and SMTP. There is no option though to enable SSL/TLS.
canuckistan

Yes, tech support is no help, but the answer is usually simple.

All you need is to forward the gmail account to a short non-ssl account, such as one provided free by your ISP, but keep the gmail address as the reply-to value. The ISPs' email addresses generally are POP and non-SSL, so fine. (If you do not have an ISP, a friend with one can likely give you an email account for free.) If you/he/she ever changes ISP, simply forward the gmail to your next accou8nt and change the settings.

Now, how can one get the WIP300 to download email automatically, or advise one of a mssg. ready to download?