Bernard_J_L
Accepted Solution

SPA942 - Factory Reset Via Jumpers

We purchased nine of the SPA942 phones from a VoIP provider who installed and provisioned the phone.  The company went out of business and sold our account to a new provider.  The new provider does not support the SPA942 we were forced to buy new phones.  We want to reset the phones prior to letting them go.  The old service provided provided the "admin password" so we can do a factory reset.  However, of the nine phones the password worked on only three of them.  Since the provider network is down, they can not help us any further. 

So we are looking for a way to reset the remaining phones and reset the admin password. 

How can we do this.  Our engineering department has opened the phones and there are some jumpers and we were hoping one of them would force a complete reset.  However, they can find no technical documentation on what the jumpers are for.

Please help, this was an investment for us and we thought that by going with Linksys we would have access to some good documentation on this. 

Thanks in advance for your help.
sardnyx27

Re: SPA942 - Factory Reset Via Jumpers

don't know anything about the jumpers and i certainly don't recommend using it to reset the device because i believe that will void the warranty...

about resetting it to factory default, i have 2 of these SPA942 and I was able to reset it even if I had set up an admin password by using the menu button...after pressing menu on the phone immediately press 14 and then ok...it allowed me reset it just fine without asking for password...
Bernard_J_L

Sardnyx27, thanks for the quick reply.  We were looking at those jumpers as a last ditch effort to reset the phones.  The warranty is out on the phone so we have nothing to lose.  However, we would much rather do it another way without needing to open up all the phones.

So tomorrow we will give your suggestion a try.  I will let you know how it works out.  It would be great if it works. 

Thanks again for your help it is really appreciated.
Bernard_J_L

Well, Sardnyx27, that did not work.  When I did that I got the message, "Wrong Password.  Retry?"

Maybe the the admin password you had was not loaded into the phone.  The default password is supposed to be blank.  On the two phones we did manage to reset, your procedure works fine. 

Any other ideas?
sardnyx27

odd..i am actually sure that the password is loaded since i tried accessing the web interface for both admin and user and it asked me for a password..so that's not it..

did you try accessing the web ui of the remaining SPA942 using the password that was given to you? if by some chance you can, then just go to System tab and delete the Admin and User Password there...

(check your Inbox here by the way)
Bernard_J_L

Sardnyx27, yes we placed the "locked" phones on the network and then used the web browser interface.  The "user" connected just fine but when we went to the "admin" screen it asked for a password.  That is where we used all the passwords that our phone supplier said might work. 

When all of those failed we then tried the reset from the phone menu.  We entered all the admin passwords they came up with.  Each time getting the "try again?" message. 

The phones we were able to reset we did it just as you described, by going into the web base user interface and resetting the passwords. 

This is quite frustrating.  You would think the firmware would have some master reset that could be invoked.  Some sort of "push and hold these buttons as you apply power" sort of thing.

Tomorrow we are going to take one of the "locked" phones and go through the web interface process again, in case we have overlooked something.

Again, Sardnyx27, thanks so much for taking the time to help us with this.  Your work is appreciated.

Bernard_J_L

Well we still have no answer on the reset problem. 

Here we paid for some phones and the provider has made them unsable to us.  This does not seem quite right. 

Does anyone have a technical reference manual that describes the function of the jumpers that are on the main board?  We just keep thinking that there must be some hardware way to put these phones back into their original blank configuration.

Anyhow help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
sardnyx27

i'll look around some more...remember to always use admin as username on the admin login when you try the passwords that were given to you by your provider...
Bernard_J_L

Well everything has been to no avail. I tried calling our ISP and the phone just hisses. I called a person I know there on his personal cell and he said the company is closed. So now we have these phones which we purchased and can not use them. We are looking to get a refund from the company, but know with all their phones disconnected, that is not possible. I hope someone learns the lesson here about Linksys phones. There is no way to return them to their original state unless you know the admin password. Without that, the phones are worthless. We all very upset that Cisco/Linksys would make a product that you can buy to use on a system and then have no way of getting it back. Thanks for everyone who offered suggestions. We will have the phone here for awhile before we pay an intern to take them apart and destroy the PCB. So if you do come across something, let us know. Thanks
humba3

While your situation clearly sucks, I think it's wrong to Blame Linksys here. When company X makes a deal with a hardware maker to resell a branded device, it wouldn't make much sense if that branding is easily removable (the branded hardware is often sold with very little in terms of margin so it's the contract you get with the device to make up for it). Think of branded and SIM locked cellphones.. while it's not illegal to remove such restrictions, you often don't have a legal recourse to demand the liberation of your device. So, if you purchase a device, make sure it is an unbranded and unlocked one, or you risk making the same experience over and over again. Unfortunately, these phones aren't so prevalent that there is enough interest in unlocking... otherwise you'd see unlocking sites pop up on the Internet like we have sites to unlock cellphones. Also, I know this isn't helpful at the least, you said you made an investment in Linksys.. but you really haven't.. you made an investment into hardware from a certain provider that's reselling Linksys product with a proprietary/locked down firmware.. it's not quite the same thing. While Linksys is somehwat less than accomodating when it comes to fixing bugs, they keep on improving the phones - the 5.x firmware was quite an improvement, and now we have the free 4 line upgrade. Compared to other phones (I have a bunch from a bunch of different manufacturers), I think I got about my money's worth. Linksys' policy on support is that you have to get it from the company that sold you the devices (at least for voice products it is.. it used to be different and I find it deplorable that it changed, but it is what it is) - so if the company is out of business, you're SOL (or if the company cannot give you support... there's a lot of Linksys resellers out there who will give you no support whatsoever for the devices you buy.. leaving you stuck asking q
There are two essential pieces to tracking down a problem with your VoIP equipment:

The configuration of every device involved
SIP protocol traces

And don't forget: there's no such thing as giving too much information when describing a problem.