Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mckayc

WIP300 Open Network Roaming

Am I missing something or is the WIP300 unable to roam for the best available Open Network. It seems to me that that feature alone is what would make this phone useful. I just went on a trip and had to manually change settings every time I wanted to see if I could connect to a WiFi spot. It was quite tedious and seems unnecessary. Does anyone know if this is a feature in the works for a new version of firmware? Is there a firmware Wiki to see progress and features of the firmware? (I have read that this firmware is open sourced).
LeeJ

Re: WIP300 Open Network Roaming

[ Edited ]
I had been wondering about that too and found the answer on another site. You call the last network selection "OPEN" and set the SSID as * (an asterisk), don't set any security. Once the phone has gone down the list and NOT found any of your other nodes it will latch onto an open site. It's best to use the last slot for this keeping the ones just above it for temporary sites, re-name them spare1 and spare2.

(Edited for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 07-31-2007 11:52 AM

mckayc

Sweet! Thanks a heap for your reply! I just tried out what you said and it worked! I don't suppose you could post the link where you found that info? Also, on a related note, I noticed that a lot of networks are open, but require you to log in to use the Internet and therefore will not work with the WIP300. I wonder if there is any way for the phone to connect to the open network with the most bars, but if it takes more than 10 seconds to register, then it automatically goes to the next open network. Know anything about this? That would be pretty cool.
LeeJ

[ Edited ]
It may have been in here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Linksys+WIP300

(Edited for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 07-31-2007 11:53 AM