profk

WIP320 Internet Access from Hotel Room

This hotel has free WiFi Internet access, but when I connect I get a splash page with a button to click, then get a login page with a password box. I have to enter a simple password (no username) and click or press Enter, and I get the hotel's online home page. at that point I have full Internet access, and the WIP320 should work.

Is there any way to get the WIP320 to navigate through the first 2 pages?

I could set up this notebook to get on the Net, then route the phone through Internet Connection Sharing, but I'd hardly need to use the WIP320 at that point.

Bob
Calamity

Re: WIP320 Internet Access from Hotel Room

Does anyone have a solution to the issue of wifi spots that require entry of text to a splash page prior to connection? The Linksys documentation is silent on this issue though the advertising claims that any access point can be used and the Fry's clerk who sold me the 320 Skype phone assured me that it can be used with such splash pages.
janhamburg

Hey,

it is one of the known drawbacks of the WIP320. You can NOT access hotspots requiring authentication, which is crap. !!

Someone telling you you could ... should have known better.

I have decided to buy this phone anyway and *****hope that LINKSYS and Skype will fix it eventually***** ...though I have little hope, to be honest. There will be new models out there and no one will care about the old WIP320.

Another solution for accessing in hotels and cafes having browser authentication is a Smartphone/PDA with Windows Mobile, running Skype on that. So far only few cell phones have wireless access, though theay are getting more (and you could use 3G as a default internet connection anyway, but - trouble again is that Skype does not support Symbian OS which is used by Nokia and Sony, as far as I can see.

Hope this clears things up a bit, sorry. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Cheers, Jan

janhamburg

And I think we should all REQUEST another Firmware-update from Skype and Linksys!!

I have written an email to the Skype-support already, but from what I can see from other forums, both Skype and the producers say it's the other's responsibility. ... And Skype tries to make money with their Boingo (?) accounts, I suppose there are even contractual restrictions on giving 'free' access with browser authentication, even though - as someone posted elsewhere - technically it shouldn't be a big deal.....

:smileysad:(( How to make customers unhappy!!

(Having said that, got my WIP320 today, updated the firmware, used my new 3 month unlimited account for 8 dollars within Canada and also made a Skypeout  overseas call...great quality, much better than with the PC I was using  (which was probably due to headset/CPU/soundcard). Will see how the battery lasts...
jhl
jhl

A workaround, although not ideal is to purchase a Linksys travel router. It is compact and easy to travel with. It will connect to either wired or wireless networks and allows you to create your own wireless network. I just did this in Europe for two weeks with little difficulty once I figured out how to do it. Connect your laptop to the router, set-up the wireless connection through the router, login through the access splash screen, fire up the WIP320 and you are in. Leave the WIP320 or your laptop connected to the internet or you will be logged out and need to repeat the process.

[ Edited ]

hi

how r u?

bro i m new in this

i hve some problem   plz u tell me i have a lot of divices linksys   model no:smileytongue:ap2t

but these device is blocked by net work some body blocked that

and now some bodyies say me on device is possibel who break them his block code plz u tell me wht is the name of this

and i m 4m     U.A.E and wher i buy this

plz tell me i m wating

ok baye and take care

(Mod Note: Removed Email address.)

Message Edited by daikunzeon on 09-06-2007 06:20 AM
Calamity

Yes, one can travel with a router and hook it to the PC so that one can use the Linksys 320, but then why not just use a headset connected to the PC? I bought the Linksys 320 so that I could use Skype without using my PC. This would be especially helpful in airports and hotels. And this is exactly where the 320 doesn't work. So, it's useful at home, but for travel, I just bring along a headset like I have done for the last 8 years. You'd think there would be an advance. I would buy a 330 at their inflated price, but that is not a Skype appliance. Linksys has really missed the mark on this.
mrweirdo

I have the same issue with the WIP300 which is basicly the same phone as the 320 except it uses the open standard protocol SIP instead of skype. I'm currently using mine with gizmoproject. I really wish there was support for those hotspots that require page logins. Interestingly enough in the GPL firmware code there is a file named hotspot.conf.orig however it doesn't seem to be used at all in the firmware. Maybe thats somehow the answer we are all looking for in future firmware releases?
marcoscu

The WIP330 allows access from hot spot flash pages for SIP calls. You would think the WIP320 would allow the same for Skype, in fact I assumed it did. Users will have to badger Linksys for a feature upgrade to the firmware.
http://wip330.110mb.com/
mrweirdo

different os though.. the 330 is based off of windows mobile which includes a web browser while the 300 and 320 are based of Linux and no web browser. The browser is the real difference because if you had that on the phone you could pull up the login page.