Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
JBaker07
Accepted Solution

WIP330 - What is up with this phone?

I just received the Linksys Wireless G (WIP330) SIP phone. I was planning to use this phone for our new Asterisk based IP phone system. Provisioning the phone was a breeze, but there are some odd things about this phone that make it pretty much unusable for anything other than to tinker with.

Problem one - VoiceMail

There is a Voice Mail section under Phone Settings where you can enter the phone number for your voicemail. Okay, fine. So once I enter in my voicemail number, how do I retrieve my voicemail? There is nothing in the documentation or in the phone settings that says how we're supposed to retrieve voicemail once we enter this number. Shouldn't there be a big friendly button somewhere marked VOICEMAIL?

BTW, the Linksys documentation says this about voicemail, "For instructions on how to check your voicemail, contact your internet phone service provider"! You gotta be kidding me?

Problem two -  No touch tone.

Since I cannot find a button or speed dial anywhere to call my voicemail number. I entered it in manually and called it. The problem is, I need to be able to enter digits into the keypad to access voicemail features. If I enter numbers into the keypad, a separate window appears showing the numbers, but there is no touch tone sounds so that the automated voicemail menu can "hear" my selections. I'm assuming this new window is line 2 trying to accept another outgoing call.

These two issues are a real deal breaker for this phone. Here are a few other minor issues that I could live with if this phone solved the above problems.

• Strange button above the volume control buttons that does absolutely nothing! Are you kidding me?
  • Micro browser. I fail to see how this would have any practical use whatsoever. Unless you went to a website that was optimized for the tiny screen on the phone, trying to view a normal webpage is pointless.
  • Very quiet maximum ring volume. I admit there is a vibrate feature, but it would be nice to have a clear, loud ring (customizable ringtones would be a plus too)
  • Upgrade website link is broken. www.wip330.com doesn't even exist. Give me a break!

This phone really has great potential. It seems to be well built. The screen is bright and easy to use. Dialing numbers is easy and receiving calls works very well. I like the options for transfer, blind transfer, etc. But the above mentioned issues will prevent me from purchasing anymore of these phones for my company.

marcoscu

Re: WIP330 - What is up with this phone?

You are right about this phone, it has so much unrealised potential. Linksys seemed to lose interest in it almost as soon as it was launched, I suspect because it did not fit in with revised plans for their line of VOIP products.

Voicemail, at least in later firmware, there is a voicemail icon that appears on your screen when voicemail is on the server. It does not seem to work with my VOIP provider (sipgate) but it does for others. There should indeed be a voicemail key on the phone fascia.

Touch tone. To set up DTMF relay on the phone handset go to SIP SETTINGS/DTMF Relay and enable it. Why is it there rather than in Phone Settings... who knows.

Strange button.  this was originally supposed to turn the speakerphone off and on, Yes, I know, what speakerphone? All it does now is toggle the clock display off and on when using Skype in early firmware.

Micro Browser . This allows you to log into hot spots which require a browser based login. Many hotspots take you automatically to a landing page where you have to input a password, agree to conditions or purchase airtime. Most browserless VOIP phones cannot display these pages and so fall down. This is one of the unique selling points of the WIP330. Of course, as a web browser for general use it is impractical in the extreme.

Ring Tones I think it depends on which ring tone you use. You can upload your own personalised ring tones and desktop pictures via the GUI.

Upgrade The default upgrade link has now changed to

https://voip.linksys.com/wip330/

which you can enter into your phone if required. The best and safest way to upgrade is to download the file to your PC and then upgrade through the WIP330 web based GUI. I would be surprised if Linksys make any further upgrades to this phone despite the enormous potential it offers.

You can read all you can possibly want to know about this phone at the website below:

http://wip330.110mb.com/
JBaker07

Thanks for the information.

marcoscu wrote:

Voicemail, at least in later firmware, there is a voicemail icon that appears on your screen when voicemail is on the server. It does not seem to work with my VOIP provider (sipgate) but it does for others. There should indeed be a voicemail key on the phone fascia.

Touch tone. To set up DTMF relay on the phone handset go to SIP SETTINGS/DTMF Relay and enable it. Why is it there rather than in Phone Settings... who knows.

I do have the blinking email icon, but there is no shortcut to access it.

I set my DTMF to enable, but still cannot enter my extension and password into my voicemail server. If I press the keypad buttons it simply brings up another window, like it wants to make a call on a separate extension.

I'll check out that website link you provided and see if I can learn something else.

Thanks again,

Jason Baker

marcoscu

All you can do as regards voicemail is to make a Phone Book Entry for your Voicemail access number. Also, some VOIP providers allow you to attach  hotkeys to phone numbers remotely. There should be an instant access key, why Linksys missed it off, who knows.

I don't know what is happening with your DTMF tones. I just dialed into my own voicemail and was able to navigate throughg the menus using the handset (although an input window does display). I then called another number with a menu system and again was able to negotiate it. Make sure you have enabled DTMF relay on both the handset menu AND with the GUI. You should not need to do this, but you never know. Try calling another number that needs dtmf tones to navigate through their menus and see if it works there. Perhaps your Voicemail server can't hear the WIP330 tones for some reason.

Newer

[ Edited ]

Just Do this Process for using your VoiceMail

Is easy to retrieve VoiceMail from your sip provider just enter the VoiceMail Access number that they gave you, Into your Voicemail (in phone settings)

I'll give you some Examples

If you want to Retrieve VoiceMail From Gizmo5 Just enter 611 ( Gizmo5 Voicemail Access Number ) Into your Voicemail (in phone settings)

or

If you Want to Retrieve VoiceMail from VoxAlot Just enter *500 ( VoxAlot VoiceMail Access Number ) Into your VoiceMail (in phone settings)

And the fast way to Retrieve VoiceMail. Marcoscu Already Gave you the answer ( Phone Book )

Message Edited by Newer on 11-10-2008 08:31 AM
JBaker07

Newer wrote:

Just Do this Process for using your VoiceMail

Is easy to retrieve VoiceMail from your sip provider just enter the VoiceMail Access number that they gave you, Into your Voicemail (in phone settings)

I'll give you some Examples

If you want to Retrieve VoiceMail From Gizmo5 Just enter 611 ( Gizmo5 Voicemail Access Number ) Into your Voicemail (in phone settings)

or

If you Want to Retrieve VoiceMail from VoxAlot Just enter *500 ( VoxAlot VoiceMail Access Number ) Into your VoiceMail (in phone settings)

And the fast way to Retrieve VoiceMail. Marcoscu Already Gave you the answer ( Phone Book )

Message Edited by Newer on 11-10-2008 08:31 AM

Actually I already did all that. Here's the problem. I entered 770 into the voicemail section under Phone Settings. If I go there and click it, it will actually call the number, no problem there. The problem is, I hear, "Asterisk mail. Please enter mailbox." When I press the keys to enter the mail box number, a separate window appears (line 2 I assume), as if the phone is trying to make a call on the other line. I need to enter my extension followed by the pound sign, and then enter my mailbox password in order to access the mail box. So far I see no way of doing this.

marcoscu

There maybe some sort of mismatch between the WIP330 and your SIP account. Either your SIP server cannot hear or the WIP330 is not sending the dtmf tones of the type you SIP server is expecting.

I use the same proceedure to get my own Voicemail with Sipgate: call in, enter ID and password with the handset keypad. The input  window opening  is normal behaviour whenever the keypad is used during a call.

The WIP330 supports In-band, Out-band (RFC2833) DTMF relaying.

marcoscu

What I should have said before is that you can assign a keypad speedial key for Voicemail. Make a new Phone Book entry for the Voicemail number and from that edit screen you can define a speed dial key, '0' for example. Despite it having a voicemail icon you cannot use key '1'.

To check your mail just press and hold the '0' key and it will dial your voicemail.

This may benefit others more than you if you still can't get the menu system to recognise the WIP330 dtmf tones.

JBaker07

Re: SOLVED WIP330 - What is up with this phone?

I figured it out. I looked at the Asterisk CLI for errors and when I dialed 770 (my voicemail extension) it prompted me for a extension. I entered my extension number followed by the pound sign. I could see in the output of the CLI that it indeed accepted my extension and was then waiting for the password, but for some reason the automated attendant never says "password". So basically, you don't hear the password prompt. I'll have to put some space in the password prompt and see if that helps.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. This phone may prove to be usable after all.