Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
migoblu

Connecting wireless router to a DSL router/modem

I have DSL from my phone company using a DSL router/modem. Can I connect this DSL router/modem to a Linksys WRT54GP2 wireless router?  
Corleone

Re: Connecting wireless router to a DSL router/modem

yes..you can certainly connect the DSL modem to the mentioned router ...
B_S
B_S

Sure. Just leave the WAN / outside ethernet port disconnected.

Plug the LAN / inside ethernet port into one of the inside ports on your router, or switch, or whatever.

For that matter, this can be a hub/switch as well. So, figure out the best floor for the Wireless, say the 2nd floor of a 3 floor house, disconnect the ethernet cable from the computer nearby, plug it into the inside side of the new beastie. Then connect another ethernet cable from another one of the inside ports back to the computer.

You should then be good to go.

[You can do more / nifty things with this setup, but this answers your question. And you probably don't want to. If you do, reply with what you'd like to do in addition.]

Cheers.
migoblu

Corleone and B_S thanks for the info. I have only one phone jack in my house, which is a single story ranch. I have a spliter on that phone jack, which connects to my telephone and a 50 foot phone line which goes to the computer in my computer room. The phone company said they could install a new phone jack in my computer room for a price. But, I would rather try to set up a wireless network using the Linksys WRT54Gp2 Wireless Broadband router, so that wasy I can also use my Palm TX on the internet.

The phone company said they could set up my wireless network, but it would cost $19.95 a month for this service. So, you see I'm trying to cut out the phone company as much as possible.

B_S, I'm not sure I understand the connections you gave. Would I connect the phone line to the phone company provided Comtrend CT-507 ADSL router/modem and then connect an Ethernet cable from the phone company router/modem to the Linksys WRT54GP2 Broadband Router. Or can I just connect the phone line to the Linksys WRT554GP2 Wireless Broadband Router and it will transmitt/receive to/from the wireless NIC in my computer? Thanks for any help.
Corleone

you cannot connect the phone line to the router directly..you need to have a DSL modem first..the phone line gets connected to the modem and the modem can be connected to the router ..
B_S
B_S

migoblu: It may be the easiest way to get connected is to have the Linksys in hand and call Linksys support. There are too many variations to be able to completely explain in a message. It is not hard, it will
not take long, and you are certainly capable of it. You just need someone to ask questions of, get an answer, depending on the answer ask the next question, and so on. And/or buy a beer for a computer buddy to give you a hand.

You need to carefully check what it is the provider said. When they said wireless for $20/month, was that to provide internet to your home, or within your home?

The former would put a wireless adapter on your computer and let you use it anywhere in your home. With no equipment from them, e.g. the modem.

The latter would do the same thing, but no monthly fee. In this case
you are your own wireless 'provider'.

For the moment, keep it simple, forget wireless. Get it working without it, then get it working with it.

There are too many possibilities here, without sufficient information from you, to begin to explain what to do. The message would be longer than the manual that came with your LinkSys.

You have the equipment you need, you can do what you want to do, it is not hard. But you need help from a buddy, or from LinkSys on the phone. Perhaps both if your buddy has never set up wireless.

I have a Palm LifeDrive, I've been where you are. A couple of notes:
- Internet on the Palm is really rather useless. (Because of Palm.)
- if you want to check it out, go to a free wi-fi internet cafe or a friends. They'll help you set up your Palm for that connection. Play with it. See if you like it.
- not saying don't do this, just don't be surprised. (Dancing Bear Syndrome).
- you can connect to your computer via a bluetooth adapter instead of, or in addition to, wi-fi, assuming the TX has bluetooth too. [Not saying you should, or that it's easier, just that you can. And bluetooth will have its own 'niftyness'.]

So: Just what all do you want to do?
- connect the Palm via wi-fi?
- get rid of the 50' phone cord?
- anything else?

Tell us how you're connected now.

On the provider's modem, the phone cord runs into it, and there's a power adapter. What other plugs are there, and which have wires in them?

I assume there is a wire running from the computer to this modem. Into which port on the modem is it plugging in to.
migoblu

Corleone and B_S, I have DSL service from my phone company at this time using a Comtrend CT-507 router. I have my 50ft phone line connecting to an RJ-11 jack on the CT-507 and a Cat5 Ethernet cable connects from the RJ-45 jack on the CT-507 to an Ethernet card in my computer. I sure appreciate the info you've given me. My reasons for trying to setup the wireless network with Linksys WRT54GP2 is to get rid of the 50ft phone line, but not pay the phone company for a new line or to have them set up the wireless network. I won the Linksys wireless router in a raffle and I thought this would be the perfect time to set up the wireless network.

B_S
B_S

> Comtrend CT-507 router

Is it a router or a modem? (Or both?)

Are there any other places to plug wires into it?

You want a wire run. Wireless will never be as fast as copper. You don't have to, but you want to. You don't need the phone company to do this, any friendly buddy can do this. If you're going to run wire, run 2 phone and 2 ethernet to it while you're at it. This will, at the least, let you put a phone extension in this room. [Every needed to call tech support?] 2 of each will give you maximum flexibility for anything you might do, and the increase cost should be minimal. The big cost is for the jacks, making the holes, and swinging the wire. Additional wires shouldn't have significant cost. This would allow you, for example, get rid of the 50' phone cord, make sure everything works, then move it down to the basement, or wherever. Once there, the ethernet gets plugged into the equipment, and back in your room, the ethernet in your computer goes into the wall. It's worth doing, and it doesn't have to be by Bell. You can do it yourself for that matter - go to your local Home Depot and buy some wire, maybe some jacks. They'll have scrap wire, e.g. end of roll, you don't need a whole box. Even if you're not comfortable with connecting the wires, just running it yourself will seriously reduce your cost, and many people can do the wire attachment for you. Buddies, local contractors, Bell, whomever. Home Depot will also provide instruction. Even if you're not comfortable with doing it, you'll have a sense of what's involved.

Do you know where you put the userid / password in? e.g. Network connections, web browser? Are you comfortable entering such information?

Really, you need a local friend to help you out here. Many, many, have done this, it's just really hard to explain by typing.

e.g. If you put the password into the wireless router, you'll have to take it out of your computer. So to speak. It's just easier if you're in front of it to tell you what to do. Or call LinkSys for help, they do this stuff over the phone every day. It should be a free call / under warranty.
migoblu

Thanks Corleone and B_S, I'll try what you have have told me and I'll post back on this thread when I get it working. Thanks to both of you and I hope you both have a great weekend.
Selena Sawyer