terrmvay

Extremely Slow Internet From Linksys WRTU54G-TM

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. I got the Linksys WRTU54G-TM for T-Mobile's @home service. According to the store employees, I should be able to just plug it in and it should work. I got it home, disconnected my old router (a Linksys WRT54G) and plugged it in. After a few minutes, the phone was up and working and sounds good; however, the internet coming off of the router is extremely slow (both wired and wirelessly). So slow that pages won't load. The title bar will tell you where you're trying to go; however the page will not load.

Before calling for help, I contacted my internet provider (Cox Cable in Phoenix) and verified that the network was working and that my modem (Terayon brand) was good. When I hook the modem directly to the computer I get my full connection (around 20 megs down). Then I called T-Mobile and was connected to Linksys since the router was connecting and providing phone service.

I spent an hour on the phone with Linksys. We flashed the firmware to the latest build, reset the modem to factory settings, reset the modem via the button on the back all the while power cycling the whole setup numerous times. The rep had me check some settings on my computer and I was able to ping from the cmd prompt. In the end, she felt that I received a bad router and said I should return it. She never mentioned cloning the MAC address; however, I saw that on the T-Mobile forums and tried it - no luck.

I took the router back to the T-Mobile store and the rep happily exchanged my router for a new one. I got it home, plugged it in and have the same problem. Phone works, internet doesn't pass through the router properly.

I went ahead and flashed the new router and reset it factory settings and that did not help (all the things I did with the Linksys rep with the first router). I'm going to be calling T-Mobile/Linksys again tomorrow but I wanted to see if there was anything anyone in these forums may know what I could try.

With the second router, I did try plugging it into my old router (modem - old router - new router), the phone worked and the internet worked (both wired and wireless); however, the internet is not as quick as going through one router and I do not want to have two routers set up.

Secondly, I looked at the configuration of my old one and set the new one to the same exact settings; however, one setting could not be matched. My old router is set to an operating mode of GATEWAY, the new one is set as ROUTER. The only options on the new one are router and bridge. Could this be the issue?

It was recommend on the T-Mobile forums to run a speed test and post the results, which I can do tonight after I get home from work. 

I've searched these forums, Google, the T-Mobile forums, the Cox forums at dslreports.com, and tons of other places and cannot find an answer. Based on the size of Cox, it's hard to believe I'm the only one with this issue. Any help would be appreciated. I have until Sunday to return the router and cancel the service without any termination fees.

terrmvay

Re: Extremely Slow Internet From Linksys WRTU54G-TM

In case it helps, here's the speed test results:

Download speed: 18.3 Mbps

Upload speed: 2.67

Quality of Service: 98%

Round trip time: 33 ms

Max delay: 21 ms

TCP forced idle: 52%

Jitter: 1.6 ms

Packet loss:0.0%

forsaken

Re: Extremely Slow Internet From Linksys WRTU54G-TM

Try the following settings on the router...

Change the Wireless Channel to 11-2.462GHz under Wireless tab...Under Advance Wireless Settings,Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304.Under Security tab,uncheck the option "Block Anonymous Internet Requests "...Power Cycle the router and check..