Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Routerdummy

Help cascading linksys voip router to linksys voip router

Hello, I'm trying to connect a Linksys RT31P2 to my existing Linksys WRTP54G to be able to be able to use the VOIP phone connections on both units. 

I have set the ip address of the first router WRTP54G to 192.168.15.2 which is connected to the cable modem. The second router is set to 192.168.15.1.

I have connected the routers ethernet to ethernet. The second router appears to work as a switch, I have connected a printer and can see it, but the phone port

doesn't work. Then I plugged the ethernet cable from the first modem into the WAN port of the second router. When I plug the phone in, it connects to vonage and I get a message that my phone is plugged into the wrong port. When I did the original configuration, LAN to LAN, I followed the instructions on this site, but when it told me too change the Advance Routing from "Advance routing" to "Router", my screen did not show me that option.

I'm not sure which way they should be hooked up or configured to make this work , can anybody help? I've spent a couple days searching forums and the web and can't find anything about making the VOIP work on both routers. 

Thanks 

Routerdummy

Re: Help cascading linksys voip router to linksys voip router

Okay, I got it. First off, you need to order the additional line you'd like to connect. As my wife pointed out at lunch, you need something to connect to. The rest wasn't too hard, set the routers to two different addresses, disable DHCP on the second router, then connect one of the ethernet ports to the WAN / internet port of the second router. Works fine. Couldn't get the phone lines to work using the LAN to LAN set up. 
Routerdummy

Actually had to go back and change the address of the second router to 192.168.2.1 so that it was on a different subnet? and enable DCHP in order to be able to access the internet and have phone access on the second router. 

But I frikking got it!!! 

Carrot

It's Good to know that you were able to resolve the issue your own..Enjoy:smileyhappy: