Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
cavalier7

Linksys Router Problems - Needs to be rebooted constantly

I have had a Linksys Vonage Router with Internet phone.  It was connected to a Comcast Modem until couple of days ago.

The internet became very slow about 3 weeks ago.  Then it started shutting down.  It had been working for about a year or so.  I called in Comcats, and they informed me nothing was wrong with the line.

1.  Is there a problem with the Linksys Router (WRTP54G)?
2.  Can they stop working because of software changes elsewhere?
3.  Can they breakdown if it has never been moved or touched?
4.  How do I find out if it really a problem with Linksys?

I already changed the cable modem.  I went out and bought a Motorola Surfboard modem.  The connections and line were thoroughly checked.

I think I have narrowed it down to the router.  I don't see any physical problems with the router.  Do I look for software upgrades or anything like that? Or should I buy a new router?

I have come down to a point where I may migrate to DSL?  Could the problem be Comcast itself?

Looking forward to ant suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.

Raju
dibbler

Re: Linksys Router Problems - Needs to be rebooted constantly

Hi… logon to router’s setup page, open I.E. on computer in the address bar type 192.168.15.1 it would ask for username and password, put “admin” as username and “admin” as password, reduce the MTU to 1458, check whether internet works or not, still if it doesn’t work get in touch with your VoIP provider and ask to upgrade the firmware on the router.
cherokeesquaw

Having this problem with my new computer which has Vista..am wondering if I need new driver/software?  This router worked fine on old computer with Windows XP and cable connection. Did you get any answer to this problem?
SeniorG

I've had the problem in the past, both with XP and Vista.  I called Vonage and they worked some magic, then it worked again.  I believe that it might be a way to validate that the same person who bought the router is still using the router, because mine really seemed broke almost right at the 2 year point.  They verified my info, and I was up and running fairly promptly.

normal

My linksys always disturb me. Some time it slow down, sometime not there completely and sometime you can not browse any web page. I do reboot over and over so i don't know the exact problem. need help

normal

please help me my staff are complaining alot because of internet service that my linksys provide. It is son poor that they can not open web pages.

What could be the problem with linksys?

goyhenea

I have been having this same problem for 3 weeks now. What is Linksys doing about it? Using router through Comcast, do I need to change providers?

I work from home this is a real issue for me.

goyhenea

What is VoIP provider?
ld1706

I have Windows XP & have similar online problems however my router (WRT54G) worked very well with Comcast. Almost without issue. They raised their rates out of site, I switched to Cavalier C2.

Since then, I have had almost daily failures of the sync between the modem and the router... or that's what it seems like. It requires that I shut off the computer, then the router, then the modem. I then must turn them back on in reverse order, after booting up individually. I don't know what to do either. This wastes so much time! 

Did you find the cause of your troubles? My opinion is that Comcast is not the problem. I may go back to them.

jimwiz

I have had problems with the router also. The web constantly drops. I know it's not the cable since the phone still works. That said, I sometimes do have issues with the phone. I have to go throught the whole turn everything off and turn everything on routine...sometimes more than once.

I have VoIP service throught AT&T but they are no longer offering the service. As a result, I doubt they are offering firmware upgrades (AT&T would supply updates "automatically" to the modem...as opposed through Linksys.)

I am thinking about changing to Comcast's service but the cost would be about 15 bucks extra per month. I already pay Comcast enough money as it is so I'm a little reluctant to make the switch.

Has anyone had any experience with t-mobile @home service?