sgreene2

Re: MagicJack SIP VOIP Device - drops incoming calls behind WRT610N

I still have the exact same problem you are having.  I tried the firmware update that came out for the first version of the router (1.0) 07/28/2009 (Ver.1.00.03.15) and one thing changed... after the first call is dropped I CAN recieve another incoming call after that without restarting the MagicJack software but all incoming calls are dropped after 30 seconds.  I've read that the open source version of the 610N routers firmware (dd-wrt) doesn't have this problem.  That leads me to think the Linksys firmware is the problem.  The fact that other Linksys routers don't have this problem also lead me to the same conclusion.

I don't think a new router is going to resolve your problem.  Did you happen to tell the Linksys support call center about this forum?  That might help them.  I worked with the MagicJack people to try to solve my problem, they sent me a new MagicJack, that didn't help.

edenkers

I did give them the link to this forum and specific thread.  I also brought up the fact that the problem did not happen with MagicJack computer directly connected to cable modem and also that it did not happen when I put my wrt150n router back online.

I too think there is a problem with the firmware.  Once my replacement router comes from Amazon, I think I might try the dd-wrt stuff on the "bad" one that is going back.

I will keep everyone updated with my results.

Erik

CalvinHanson

[ Edited ]

Just got my Magic Jack a week ago and experienced same issue.  Appreciate the helpful posts !

Message Edited by CalvinHanson on 09-05-2009 08:27 AM
edenkers

Well my replacement router (wrt610n) arrived today from Amazon.com.  Of course the firmware was not the latest, so I immediately flashed it.  Restored my configuration, and it's just like I thought, my incoming calls on the MagicJack are still being dropped after about 30 seconds.

I guess I'm going to be contact tech support again.  There is definately a problem with the firmware on these routers.

I will let everyone know what happens next.  (I may even try loading the latest version of DD-WRT on the so called "defective" wrt610n router before I send it back to Amazon.com).

Thanks for listening.

Erik

edenkers

[ Edited ]

Just got off with LinkSys Chat support.  They are escalting this issue to their "Case Management Team".  We will see what happens.  So far, my vibes tell me that they don't think the problem lies with the router's firmware.  But how can it not.  My MagicJack works with direct connection to internet,  It works when I use my older LinkSys wrt150n router.

What also bothers me is that all outgoing calls are fine, even though the logs show higher ports then the 5060 and 5070 that we know about.

Also, why does an incoming call stay connected for about exactly 30 seconds.  I would think that if the router doesn't like the port, it should block the connection immediately.

I think it would help our cause if the other people who have the same issue also contact linksys support.

In the meantime, in the upcoming day or two, I am going to take the "defective" router that I haven't shipped back to Amazon.com yet, and load it with DD-WRT and see if the problem goes away.

More to follow..

Good luck.

Erik

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

Message Edited by kent07 on 09-08-2009 06:46 PM
sgreene2

Let us know if DD-WRT helps... it's still listed as a "work in progress" but it's been listed like that for months.
edenkers

sgreene2 wrote:
Let us know if DD-WRT helps... it's still listed as a "work in progress" but it's been listed like that for months.

I will post my findings with DD-WRT here.

I see from a previous post of your's that you contacted MagicJack support and they sent you a new one, but you still had the problem.  Have you tried contacting LinkSys support to report the issue?  The more people that complain to them about this problem, the more likely is that they will do something about it.

Erik

edenkers

CalvinHanson wrote:

Just got my Magic Jack a week ago and experienced same issue.  Appreciate the helpful posts !

Message Edited by CalvinHanson on 09-05-2009 08:27 AM

Have you reported the issue to LinkSys support?

Erik

edenkers

shane101 wrote:
I have the latest firmware update installed and I still have the same problem. I don't get incoming calls at all but when the firewall is disabled, I get incoming calls but they cut off after about 30 seconds. Magicjack works fine if I connect the PC directly to the modem.

Have you reported this issue to LinkSys support?

Erik

sgreene2

Yeah I contacted them, lost the online chat session and continued it via email.  It didn't lead anywhere.