Re: No blue light (phone) on my WRTU54G-TM Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports

Yesterday my # was finalized by TMobile and I hooked in my phone and had a blue light.  Today when I got up I noticed there was no light.  I checked the SIM and it was fine and I upgraded the firmware and now I have my phone service back.  I am having issues with the printer not working each time I shut the pcs down but I think I remember seeing a thread on that.

Re: No blue light (phone) on my WRTU54G-TM Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports

I believe that once you get the configuration right, you'll be pleased with this. As reported, I had a couple of brief outages in the first 4 days after startup with this, but it's been rock-solid since then. Don't recall exactly when we started, but it's been close to a month. Service is great, sound quality truly seems better than our old Verizon land-line, voice mail is excellent, I like the new vTech DECT 6 phones (although others will work with it as well). I smile every time I think about the approx $60 a month I'm saving over the combo Verizon/AT&T (local/long-distance) that I just dropped, now that I'm paying a flat $10/month for T-Mobile@Home.

Best of all - it just works. Interesting: I've gotten so used to my little cable modem "just working" that I only remember it's even there one or two times a year. At the rate things are going with the WRTU54G-TM router, I'm optimistic that this will happen with the T-Mobile@Home service as well. If it stays this stable, I'll be a very happy camper.

- Jon
Highlighted

I am having the exact same issue that Shari has described. This after having a pretty consistent and decent service for over  a month.

Shari you might want to check that your sims are getting registered properly. You can check this via the "voice" tab

My sims are NOT getting registered, the error log has two type of errors.

1.    W006.2 ISP Error. Retry.
       W006.5 T-Mobile Network Error. Retry.

2. I am able to browse using the router, this router is  is what  I am using for another VoIP service (so no ISP is not blocking VoIP )

3.  I have "upgraded" the firmware - there is no upgrade as the latest version is v1.00.04, Apr. 10, 2008   -- but I have reapplied this frrmware to make sure that that there is no problem there.

4.  Shari - I have a question, can you tell is your router is located in a place where it might be getting pretty hot. It may sound dumb - but I want to make sure that there is not pattern here.

bongadi -

The heat question isn't silly at all... I haven't run into such a problem myself, but if you search various discussion groups about wifi routers, you'll find numerous discussions about inexpensive routers and heat dissipation problems. I've always made a point of putting my routers up on top of a bookcase with a lot of clearance all around, so it's never been an issue for me. But I've read of others who had limited space, and their routers wind up running quite hot - and display weird behavior. Certainly worth exploring this issue.

- Jon

I have Comcast as my ISP, and I have the same problem (no blue light -- no phone service) with the same error message (W006.2 ISP Error. Retry.) I have found that the default firewall settings on the WRTU54G-TM router are too strict. I am not an expert so there may be a less drastic fix, but turning off firewall rules solves the problem. To do this, log in to your router via a computer connected to it (type http://192.168.0.1 in your browser to access it). As has been mentioned before, the default user name and password for the router are both "admin" (without the quotes). You can change this later. Once you have logged in, click on Security and then Firewall. Change Enable to Disable and click Save. You may need to restart your router (just unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in). You should be in business!

tom4cam... this is leaving all your systems wide open to the internet unless you have additional protection between the 54g-TM and the internet.

I have had no issues with the default rules.

Rather than disabling the firewall entirely, check to see if you have the DMZ configured. If I turn that option ON, it seems to be OK until I reboot the router. After that, I get the "ISP Error" and "T-Mobile Network Error". Disabling DMZ again and rebooting fixes it. I went through 2 routers and SIMs and a few hours of calls (mostly on hold) with T-Mobile tech support before I figured this out. Seems like this router has a firmware bug to me.

I'm glad i found this tread. Today is Day one with my new router. Guess what I too have no blue light yet. I want to thank ttabbal. I ended up just manually configuring the router for the set up disc ended up saying I wasn't connected to the internet. Ended up i forgot to reconnect my cable line after cleaning up the wires. But once I got online and finished the install disc no blue light. One thing I did set, and not sure if the disc would of coped form my old router as well, was the DMZ for my pc. Right now I'm getting a J008 "Network busy. Retry." But I'm hopeful for the best.

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the info. Actually, I have decided to take the router back and use a regular land line for now. I still can't pinpoint the problem, but I have found that re-flashing the firmware is a temporary fix. For some reason this works, but simply restarting the router doesn't. So that's what I have done every other morning for a week: Wake up... no blue light... "upgrade" firmware (for the n-th time)... blue light comes back on... then I just wonder how many calls I missed. This is one of those times when being an early adopter can bite you in the butt. At least I was able to talk T-Mobile into taking it back outside of the 14 day "buyer's remorse" window. The whole idea that I would have to pay a $200 "early termination fee" is just silly. If a product doesn't work after a few weeks I should be able to take it back for a refund. Period. 14 days is *barely enough time to switch your number to T-Mobile and back, so you might want to test out your service with a number you don't care about first. Anyway, I'll try this again someday -- in a year or so maybe.

Message Edited by tom4cam on 08-21-2008 09:58 PM

[ Edited ]
The trick that fixed it for me was opening port 5060.
SIP uses UDP (and sometimes TCP) on port 5060. I believe SIP is needed for any VOIP calls. So the way to open port 5060 is to make sure that that port is not being forwarded to any IP. For example in Application and Gaming
Regards,
MrBinum

Message Edited by mrbinum on 08-22-2008 04:32 PM