user999991

Re: No blue light (phone) on my WRTU54G-TM Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports

I have upgraded to the new firmware and still have the problem. One full hour on T-Mobile tech support has been useless. they don't even have the correct error codes in their data base (I get the dreaded W006.1 error). I have disabled the firewall and now things work again. My setup: Comcast cable + cable modem, T-Mobile router/wireless. Does anyone know if I bypass the TMobile router, connect directly to Comcast cable modem, can I set up a firewall there, then reconnect TMobile?
frodriguez

Re: No blue light (phone) on my WRTU54G-TM Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports

I have aproblem with similar error message. When I redirect ports for security cameras, the light turns off and I have no phone. HWne I undo the port redirection of the cameras i get phone again. And I have th 09 version of the firmware. I even used another router to redirect the cameras. I am using DYn DNS to get access from theoutside. But whenever i do redirect ports the phone stops working
Commonboy

[ Edited ]
Thanks to SFAB's explicit advise, I think I've corrected my problem, albeit temporarily. I had the "No blue light, no SIM registration issue." I tried new firmware (.09), confirming 911 settings, turning off the firewall (temporarily as a test), and resetting the cable (Comcast) modem and router, all without success. HOWEVER, with respect the resets, I was not first disconnecting those devices wired and wireless connected to the router. But in reading SFAB's posting, and then the T-Mobile reference on Power Cycling,

http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm51789.htm?A2L.SERVICE=T-Mobile_HotSpot_@Home

I came across the instruction to disconnect those devices connected to the router before reconnecting the modem and then router. As it happens, I have two computers and a mobile phone connected via wireless, and a network harddrive connected via ethernet into the router. My previous resets had occurred with those devices turned on and they were attempting to establish connectivity once they saw the router's wireless reappear. So when I turned off my computers, disabled the mobile phone's connection, and disconnected the hardddrive, and then went through the power off / on cycle, I experienced success. First I turned on the modem, waited 30 seconds for that connection to my ISP to become firmly established, and then the powered on the router. The router's blue light came on about 60-90 seconds later and I heard dial tone for the first time in three days. I then reconnected my wireless and wired devices and the blue light remained on. And as it happens, I needed to modify a setting in the router (turn the firewall back on) and that caused the router to reset. Once it reset, I lost the blue light and dial tone. So I went through the same sequence (disconnect all devices from the router and then Power Cycle). Blue light came back on.

In looking at other postings, I suspect there is a bug in the router and all the connectivity attempts occurring at one time is taking priority over establishing the SIM registration. This might be why those who are running the Linksys router BEHIND their existing wireless have success. (ie. there is no other device other than the telephone connected to the Linksys router, so there is no contention when it is booting up.) Also, I suspect those that who were performing port redirects, firewall changes, and confirming 911 settings may have co-incidentally experienced some success, but the fix was probably directly related to the Power Cycle and an unnoticed change in a devices connectivity status, and not the modification of those router or T-Mobile settings directly.

Naturally, I'll wait to see how this goes for a few days. The fact that I had success a couple of time today isn't absolute proof, but repeatable success is promising. From other postings, it looks like I'll have to adopt this Power Cycle process occasionally (in the event of a router reset or some other circumstance.)

Message Edited by Commonboy on 10-03-2008 10:53 AM
SFAB1

[ Edited ]
Regarding powercycles, I have placed the router on a separate power strip to make it easier for any family member to reboot (if you see no blue light or have no dial tone, then flip the power strip power button...)

I would also encourage anyone that has a repeatable issue to open a ticket with T-Mobile support (try to get to level two support). I believe T-Mobile has a team of engineers that get the sticky calls. You should keep the ticket open until it is resolved.

I suggest that you send your voice error log to T-Mobile and reference your open ticket number. This will enable T-Mobile to see the pattern of errors and it will highlight the amount of errors people are experiencing.

The Voice Error Log is on your router configuration (http://192.168.0.1) under Status - Voice. You will see a button at the bottom of the screen staying Error List (you can also see a call log if that interests you).

-S

Message Edited by SFAB1 on 10-04-2008 07:00 AM

Message Edited by SFAB1 on 10-04-2008 07:00 AM
StevieRayG

Like every T-Mobile customer (and I personally know two others) we are all having the no blue light, no phone service problem lately. For my brother-in-law he was able to solve his problem by updating his router firmware to version 1.00.09. By the way, he does not use his router as a router. Nothing connects through it except his phone. I think this is a clue to the problem. If you can find a way, don't use this WRTU54G-TM as a router, only use it to connect your phone. As for me I need to use it as a network router, after updating the firmware, I had two good days of service until the dreaded blue light started going out. Sometimes reseting or power cycling would solve the problem, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would just fix it self. So random. My ISP confirmed that my internet connection had been up for 9 days straight. They could even tell me what device is connected to the port on their fiber router they supply and support. Anyways after that I knew for sure it must be the T-Mobile router that is the cause of the problems. Thus "ISP Error" does NOT mean your ISP is the reason of your troubles. In fact my ISP, told me to get rid of the router. I still wanted to give the router a try and get this phone service to work. So I began my typical scientific method of troubleshooting the problem. Making a configuration change in the router administration and testing phone service every few minutes for several hours and watching the "Status > Voice > Error List". My ISP, told me to get rid of the router so that is where I started. Amazingly, the phone service worked great as long as no other network devices were connected to the router. I was still able to use it as a Wireless router Then I turned on the Bridge mode for the router. The phone service worked perfectly when it was in Bridge mode (just passes everything through and doesn't act at all like a router). But I really wanted the "router" features of the router (firewall, dhcp, ip assignments by mac address, wireless, port forwarding, etc.) So, my last attempt was to try Mac Address Clone. (Setup > Mac Address Clone). I clicked "Clone Your PC's Mac" and "Save Settings") and after several hours of watching closely it has held the blue light phone service. With Mac Address Clone set I am able to have 2 computers, 1 wireless computer, 1 printer all connect through it while phone service still works. I use the router's firewall and port forwarding. I use the router's DHCP and set some static ip's for each of these computers. Still phone service works and no new errors in "Error List".
StevieRayG

SUMMARY OF TRUE FIXES TO PROBLEM. ANY ONE OF THESE WILL WORK.

- Don't connect any network devices through the router.

- Put the router in "Bridge" mode (will pass all traffic through it and doesn't act like a router at all).

- Enable Mac Address Clone ( Setup > Mac Address Clone > Enable > Clone Your PC's Mac > Save Settings )
mrp123

StevieRayG wrote:
SUMMARY OF TRUE FIXES TO PROBLEM. ANY ONE OF THESE WILL WORK.

- Don't connect any network devices through the router.

- Put the router in "Bridge" mode (will pass all traffic through it and doesn't act like a router at all).

- Enable Mac Address Clone ( Setup > Mac Address Clone > Enable > Clone Your PC's Mac > Save Settings )

Sorry. Two of those are not true. They do -not- eliminate the problem.

My blue light mysteriously went out for the very first time last night after weeks without problem.

My setup is:
1) WRTU54G-TM is connected behind my dedicated Linux firewall/router. No other network devices are connected to my WRTU54G-TM, and it's wireless is turned off. The _only_ traffic it sees is phone traffic.

2) My WRTU54G-TM is in Bridged mode.

I chose this setup because I previously used two other Linksys routers, used as routers and not like this, and they both choked from time to time after heavy or moderate network traffic. The solution for those always was to reboot, just like we're seeing for the WRTU54G-TM.

I've not used MAC address cloning, so I cannot comment.

However, since the topic of MAC address has been raised, I know the MAC address of my WRTU54G-TM as declared within the Linksys web console, under Status - Router - MAC Address, is INCORRECT. My firewall sees my WRTU54G-TM on my network, but my firewall reports the MAC address of the WRTU54G-TM differently. Specifically, the 6th octet is different. The other 5 octets are correct. I tested and verified this.

I've not looked at the source code yet, so this is probably off topic...or perhaps not...
Commonboy

You're correct in stating these "fixes" don't eliminate the problem. The Blue light still goes out from time to time. However, in my case, if I fail to disconnect all wired and wireless devices prior to rebooting the router, I'm unable to get the blue light (and phone service) to return. In short, there is an underlying problem that we're not addressing, but we're treating the symptom using these three methods.
Probedude

I just experienced this firsthand and I'm not happy about it.

Took the day off from work but called into a conference call for an important meeting. Also had a Webex session running.

We were going over technical issues with our product, then the CEO starts talking about the issue - and the phone goes dead. I look over at the WRTU54G and the blue light is still on. I try calling back and it seems to be going through but I get a busy signal eventually. Then the internet connection goes down and the blue light goes out.

Took me 3-4 minutes to come back up after a power cycle to get back to the meeting.

Thank you Linksys and T-Mobile :smileysad:
Probedude

Wife called me on her cell phone today and said the Tmobile VOIP connection went out on her during a phone call.  Blue light went out.  She power cycled the WRTU54G and after minutes the blue light came back on. 

I logged in from work over VPN and found that my DSL modem did not get a new IP address from our provider so that wasn't the cause.

Another 'mysterious' dropped phone call, then no blue light.

I see the last time this happened was on 10/9, so just under 2 weeks ago.