Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
phoney

Ping IP addresses thru VPN Tunnel

Is it possible to ping an address thru a VPN tunnel?  I have a Panasonic system with IP phones located at the far end of a tunnel  I cannot ping them or ping a computer at the far end uning the private address.
sk8erboi

Re: Ping IP addresses thru VPN Tunnel

The purpose of VPN is to link 2 or more network to see each other as one common network. If the VPN is really working, you should be able to ping the IP addresses of the PCs of the network and they should also ping your network IP address as well. Try to check for firewalls in between the VPN network. Test if you can at least ping the main router IP address of each other if you are using a gateway to gateway type of VPN. If the VPN tunnel made is really working you should at least be able to ping each router’s IP addresses.
phoney

Part II

Using the Quick VPN client I found only connects the computer it is set up on and not the router to router  VPN that I need.

Using the IPSEC VPN that resides in the routers I can have two tunnells connect but am still not able to ping any of the computers on either network from either side.  When I try to ping the router at the far end I get a message fropm my Verizon gateway "destination net unreachable"  which tells me that the Ping command is not using the VPN tunnells.

The VPN sections of both routers confirm connection but I cannot get anything to utilize them.

sk8erboi

Did you check any firewalls that might be hindering your connection both in your network and the remote network? I saw a link that has worked with a gateway topology for Quick VPN. Try to look go to this link: 

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=97196&qu... 

If that still didn’t work, please elaborate the network topology of your network and remote network to further understand the cause of the problem.