Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
webfactor

Vonage and Hughes

[ Edited ]
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me with this issue:
I have hughes.net as my isp and using vonage for phone service. (I know about latency) I was wondering if the wireless router could have something to do with why my calls are so choppy Im using the wireless-g router. If someone could help Id greatly appreciate it.. I have checked my dspeed and uspeed last time it was at 1.06 mbps download and 174 kbps and im still having issues with people hearing me incoming, and outgoing. Thanks for the help.

Message Edited by webfactor on 02-21-200705:50 AM

Message Edited by webfactor on 02-21-200705:50 AM

forsaken

Re: Vonage and Hughes

well....if your router supports QOS...enable it and set up a Ethernet Port Priority for the port on which the phone is connected.....
or else, try out OGV200 ... It is a network optimiser...it gets connected between the modem and the router and improves VOIP call quality.......
jelletich

I do not have Hughes net, I am actually looking at getting it at my cabin, but I do use voip at my house and when I originally started using it I was using a linksys wireless router. I noticed that when I got everything hardwired in my house and stopped using the wireless part of the router my voip connection greatly improved (no more choppy calls). It seemed like the two different frequencies were interfering with each other. Now that I am only using cat5 cables I can stream music, watch videos, and make voip calls at the same time. Not sure if this will help, but it's worth a try. Also, since I am interested in using Hughes at a remote location,  I would greatly appreciate it if you let me know how it works.
VOICE2310

I use vonage with a higher latency (280msec) and lower bandwidth (256Kbps). There are 2 ways to test this.

a. Make a call with your vonage TA adapter. Do not browse the internet and check if you get the choppy calls. If you dont get the choppy calls then you must provide QoS setting for your voice traffic on your router/adapter

b. Alternatively check on the Vonage account. Vonage has 3 types of call quality, if memory serves me right it is high, normal and low. The bandwidth requirement specifically upstream DSL is around 110 Kbps for high, 40 to 60 Kbps for normal. Change this setting and check if you still get choppy audio. Normally the person on the other end of the connection hears choppy if the setting is not optimized

Hope this helps