TommyP

Wireless connection OK - Internet losing connection daily

Ok... This is wierd.
I have a WRTP54G with firmware 1.00.62.
I have a 10mbit internet connection (DSL) and have never had problems with it in the past.

For the last 2 nights, I've come home from work and:
  1. I can use my Vonage phone to send or recieve calls no problem
  2. I can wirelessly access the router 192.168.15.1 from both of my computers
  3. I can NOT access the internet at all.

If I release and renew the DHCP it does not work. Neither does restarting the computer. Only restarting the router seems to work.

Any suggestions on what can be happening?

humba3

Re: Wireless connection OK - Internet losing connection daily

Can you be more specific about the ability to access the Internet?

For instance, most people would say "Internet down" when they cannot access their favorite website, or get their email. However, since you can still place and receive calls (correct?) from Vonage, and since Vonage uses your Internet connection for those calls, this statement is false.

What could've happened, is that the DNS proxy on your router has a problem, and thus if you try to access www.myfavoritesite.com, it cannot turn www.myfavoritesite.com into an IP address - and thus Web and Email are down unless your computer has those addresses in its DNS cache. But, if you knew the IP address, you'd probably be able to connect anyway (maybe with a little help from the hosts file).

So you need to track down the actual problem you're having. You can check for dns trouble by launching a command prompt and typing "nslookup www.myfavoritesite.com". It should return with some IP address. If it does, try pinging it. If it works, try telnetting to that IP address and port 80 (that simulates what your webbrowser does).
There are two essential pieces to tracking down a problem with your VoIP equipment:

The configuration of every device involved
SIP protocol traces

And don't forget: there's no such thing as giving too much information when describing a problem.
TommyP

No I can not access email or any web sites. It's really strange. I can access the router's setup screen and make and receive calls. This only started a couple of days ago.

I have two computers, and I know thats not the problem. The wireless connection is excellent.

I'm thinking if its not a router setting, it may be a deffective router?

-Tom
humba3

Why didn't you try the procedure I outlined?

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephan>nslookup www.vonage.com
Server: router.dragonslair.net
Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.vonage.com
Addresses: 69.59.254.188, 216.115.22.200

As you can see, two IP addresses (69.59.254.188, 216.115.22.200) respond to www.vonage.com, and the reply came from my own router (router.dragonslair.net with IP 192.168.1.1). If my provider's DNS server were down and the router doesn't have an address in the cache, you'd only get the first part of the reply and a message telling you about some kind of failure.

Knowing the IP address of a certain website, you can then ping it:

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephan>ping 216.115.22.200

Pinging 216.115.22.200 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.115.22.200: bytes=32 time=97ms TTL=117
Reply from 216.115.22.200: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=117
Reply from 216.115.22.200: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=117

Ping statistics for 216.115.22.200:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 97ms, Maximum = 100ms, Average = 98ms
Control-C

If you get a reply to just the ping (I've just given you a pingable IP address), you know your internet link is fine. If nslookup doesn't return a reply, you know for sure it's the DNS server.

Here are a few more IPs to ping:
www.hotmail.com: 212.162.1.124
www.google.com: 209.85.135.104
i2telecom.com: 206.165.50.101

If you can ping, let's check the DNS Server next. When you signed up with your ISP, they gave you two (or three) DNS servers.. if you don't have the documentation, visit your ISP's homepage and check the faq/support section and write down the IP addresses (very important... you don't want DNS names) of those servers. Then from your PC, start a command prompt and type:

nslookup
server
www.hotmail.com

That way, your PC will send a DNS lookup directly to the Internet.. if you get a reply, you know that your ISPs DNS servers are in order and that it's the router that messes up (likely that's the case but we want to make sure).

Also, if your machines are connected wirelessly, try connecting them via wire (Ethernet) for a change (it doesn't matter how excellent the signal may be.. WLAN is always less reliable than wired LAN).
There are two essential pieces to tracking down a problem with your VoIP equipment:

The configuration of every device involved
SIP protocol traces

And don't forget: there's no such thing as giving too much information when describing a problem.
jeffmi

I too have had this same issue, and have verify the following. When I lose my connection there is no constant, it can be after using my VPN. It could be after coming home from work and no one has even been on the network. I lose connection to both my comcast email as well the internet, however my vonage service still works sometimes. When this issue occurs, I can preform a ipconfig /release /new and that does not work. I have also verified that this is not a DNS issue nor a physical network issue. I do believe that this is a defect in the code, as I had no issues with my network for two years prior to moving to this linksys router. I previously had two routers hooked up to the network both linksys, one for the vonage phone, the other to run the rest of the computer network. I have also had comcast watch the line and during these events at no time does the cable modem drop its ip connection. Please let me know when someone from linksys will truly work towards resolving issues with the code.
hrworth

Glad I found this Forum.

I have a new Vista Desktop connected to a WRTP54G. Windows XP wired connection work fine, Wireless XP and Vista works fine. New Vista PC can not connect to the Router. Actually, this is the 3rd Desktop (Vista) that I have tried on this configuration.

ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew

have not impact. I can see the IP address for ALL of the PCs connected to the router, but can NOT Ping this Desktop from the router. It appears to me to be very specific.

1) Vista
2) Hardwired

I can take the Wireless Vista laptop and make it wired, and it does NOT work.

Any Hints?

Thank you,