Toonsker
Accepted Solution

Connect 2nd router to PLTS200 to work as a repeater?

Can a second router (or access point) be connected to a Powerline network adapter such as the PLTS200, to be used as a repeater for wireless devices?
gandalf

Re: Connect 2nd router to PLTS200 to work as a repeater?

It is not possible.
damndonzi

[ Edited ]

Sure it works. I connected a wrt160n wireless router to a ple300. works great.

I have a dlink dgl4500 as a primary router connected to my dsl modem and plk300 wireline adapter on one end of the house and a wrt160n router connected to the other wireline adapter at the other end of the house. works awesome although configuring the wrt160n took some time.

Message Edited by damndonzi on 12-04-2008 09:34 PM
Toonsker

[ Edited ]

Thanks, damndonzi.  I bought the PLK300 kit, connected my WPC600N router to the single-port PLE300, then connected my old WRT54GS router (along with a couple of other things) to the 4-port PLS300 upstairs and, as simple as that, I have a good wireless connection throughout the entire house.  No problem.  Of course, I had previously disabled the DHCP server on the old router.

And note that, not only gandalf, but also Linksys tech support, had told me outright that it would not work.  It is a shame that people who do not know are still willing to give an answer.

Message Edited by Toonsker on 01-22-2009 01:03 PM
sigep2207

I am having the same problem where I have my cable modem wired to the powerline adapter upstairs and have the other powerline adapter downstairs.  Everything works fine when I have my computer plugged directly into the powerline adapter downstairs.  However, when I connected a 4-port wireless adapter to the powerline adapter downstairs and then connected my computer to the wireless router, I was not able to connect out to the internet (the computer recognized that there was a network connection, but could not get out to the internet). 

Toonsker and damndonzi...you both said that you had to configure your wireless router to get it to work with the powerline adapter.  What exactly did you have to do to get your wireless router working on the other end of the powerline adapter?

Toonsker

You have to disable the DHCP server on the second router, so that it is being used essentially only as a repeater or a range expander, in effect.  Though you will be connecting wirelessly through this second router, your primary router must be the only one handling DHCP assignments.
illinijoe05

How exactly did u do this, I am trying the same with a wrt160n and cannot figure it out.

Toonsker

Disable DHCP in your router's web browser setup screen.  For Cisco/LinkSys routers, there are two radio button choices on the basic setup page for DHCP Server:  Enabled or Disabled.