Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
2bigdogs

PLK300 Issues

Hi,

I just started having a lot of issues with my PLK300 setup after it has been "offline" for awhile. It started with getting really SLOW transfer rates to both www sites as well as a local NAS drive, enough to cause writes to it to fail (both plugged into a 1GBps switch). I replaced cables and verifed the laptop's NIC port was working fine when plugged directly into the Netgear 1GBps switch. I then installed the Powerline Configuration Utility (which for some reason says PLE200 as there is none for the PLE300) and updated both switches to the "latest" firmware  version 3.4. The speed reported says anywhere from 40-70Mbps (far short of the claimed 200Mbs) but also the Config utility shows a warning/error now when clicking on the advanced tab about "Device Manager version does not match the target. Limited options apply, consider upgrading".  I tried reflashing the firmware just in case it didn't flash right but it wont let me flash it again,

Anyone experience this and have any ideas? 

Thanks

brickmonkey

Re: PLK300 Issues

Try the following steps:

1)      Try to give the devices their own outlets without other household items sharing the same outlet.

2)      Test multiple outlets, even in the same room.

3)      If the house has more than one main electrical panel (say, a separate panel for a recent addition), bridging the panels can reduce speeds considerably or prevent connection.

4)      Light dimmer switches and some LCD/Plasma panels can have a huge impact on performance. If you've got those items in the house, measure performance with them off and on.

5)      Plugging PowerLine devices into a surge protector is a no-no, but even extension cords can have an effect; best to be connected directly to the outlet.

2bigdogs

Thanks for your suggestions on possible ways to increase the speed. Unfortunately since I posted, the single port PLE300 apparently died as it doesn't power on anymore (no LEDs and  is not seen on the network, I tried unplugging and pushing the reset button but nothing happens so it is either really bricked or just dead. Although when plugged in if you hold it up to your ear, you can hear a high pitched "chirp" inside the switch.  

brickmonkey

Well, the only option left is try to change the power socket and then check the connectivity. It that helps it will be great otherwise the problem can be with the PLK300 itself.