seanoconnell
Accepted Solution

powerline adapters

I am trying to connect powerline adapters in my home. the first one will be with my new computer running windows 7 in the basement, the second one being with my old computer running windows xp on the top floor of a 3 storey house. I am trying to connect the first adapter to my router here in the basement and it will not work. I have inserted the setup disk and it runs just fine and says congrats your set up, with no internet upstairs, this can't be true. i have tried opening the configuration menu from the setup disk and it says "failed to initalize network interface - exiting"     i have spent over an hour and a half on the phone with linksys personnel and they know **bleep** all, told me everything i already knew, 5 times over, does anybody know what i can do? i have tried everything that is posted on this site for this problem.... I need to opent the configuration menu but it won't let me on this new windows 7 computer. i have tried all of the compatibility options on the site and nothing works. Somebody told me this was supposed to be easy for **bleep** sakes
scrooge

Re: powerline adapters

Utility for the PowerLine adapter will not work on the Windows7 due to compatibility issue...So,You can try to setup the the CD  and configure on the XP computer instead of the Win7 computer.Once it is configure...you can connect the Windows7 computer..It may work.
seanoconnell

can i still do this even if my wired router is downstairs with the win7 computer? the internet connection is beside the win7 computer and the top floor computer using XP is what we're trying to get internet for
RazMan

I have just had a fruitless attemp at doing something similar and Tech Support was no help at all.

To cut a long story short I will say this...

You will not be able to run the config utility on Window 7 as it is not compatable (even in compatability mode)

You HAVE to run the config utility on the XP machine and have the network cable directly plugged into the PLE200 - a hub will NOT work at all.

Once you have configured BOTH devices on the XP machine then you can happily put them whereever you need them as they will talk to each other without any further fiddling.

I hope that helps - it seems that tech support need to go on a course!

scrooge

As you can not run the CD on the WIN7 computer due to compatibility issue...Connect the XP Computer to the Powerline adapter instead of the Win7...just to configure it..Once the Powerline adapter has been configured then,you can connect the Win7 computer...On both the end connect the WinXP computer to run the CD for the Powerline adapter.
seanoconnell

Thanks guys, i have just tried everything you mentioned and nothing is working, i'm beginning to wonder if these are just duds. I opened the configuration on the xp computer upstairs and it only found the one adapter. I tried to configure it and it wouldn't let me change anything. I also tried putting both the adapters upstairs in the same room and it still didn't even find the second adapter. I'm seriously stumped here.

RazMan

I might be stating the obvious here but I have been experimenting with my two PLE200's and found the following with a lot of time and hair loss...

Program each device separately and plug it directly into the network jack of the computer AND directly into a wall socket (extension leads are a big no no)

Using a PC or laptop running XPStart the config util ver 1 AFTER you are all connected, you should see the unit in the network tab and the staus should be 'connected'

In the Security tab, change the network password if you want (I left mine as default) enter the password, untick the encryption option and save (takes about 30 secs so be patient) 

Repeat this process for the other unit(s) They are then configured to 'talk' to each other and will require no more programming - they will also work on all operating systems including Win 7.

Then try both units connected and you should see them in the network tab - you can then connect to either unit, seeing the data rate to the other one.

Experiment with different sockets around the room, floor and house - I got readings from zero to 138 just by moving from one socket 10 feet away from the first!

Keep away from sockets with heavy loads, dimmer switches and extension leads - in fact a lone socket is probably best. These units are VERY picky about who they are neighbours with.

I hope that helps in some way - its certainly more than tech support were able to tell me anyway ;-)

scrooge

I am agree with RazMan...try the steps which he have suggested.
seanoconnell

I will try these steps. However i don't know if it will work or not because even when i hooked an adapter up to my xp computer i could open the configuration but i would click on the adapter it found and i wasn't able to edit or change any data, i tried changing the password and setting an encryption for the other device and it wouldn't let me. I will try again and post back.
seanoconnell

Awesome! i tried what razman said and configured the adapters by themselves on the xp commputer! it recognized it right away and had XP under device name. i had to fiddle witht he second adapter a bit and enter the default pw and i did set the remote encryption password from the back of the second adapter. I have them connected basement to top floor with a speed of 10mbps (according to the configuration utility) but it loads web pages pretty quick. Thanks a lot guys this has been a very frusterating sitaution and i am very glad it is over!