BEFSR41 V 4.3 Problems

[ Edited ]
I recently downloaded and installed the firmware upgrade found on the Linksys website.  I was given the upgrade successful page. Immediately after that I was disconnected from the internet.  After looking in the network center (Windows Vista version) I saw that my computer was attempting to connect to the router but was having little success. My computer was unable to identify our local area network. After trying many hard resets and resetting of the IP address I came here to do research to see if people were having similar problems. I have tried the many times suggested technique of pushing the reset button on the router for 30 seconds, then unplugging the router for 30 seconds and replugging the router and then reconfiguring the router (I assume that to reconfigure the router I am supposed to put the CD back in and go through that process).  When going through the process on the CD after it checked my computer settings it came up with the error message "Router not found, please try reconnecting the router" which is odd because the router is connected as it should be.  I have tried to enter in the IP address into my web browser to see if if I could connect to the "browser pages" and it is not working.  Also, after I held the reset button on the router the power light has been blinking instead of staying solid. Is there a way to fix this problem or am I doing something incorrectly?
Message Edited by fatcat2 on 05-10-2009 09:00 PM

Re: BEFSR41 V 4.3 Problems

The Power light on your router should stay solid, it should not blink...If it is blinking you need to upgrade the firmware using TFTP Utility...

Download TFTP Utility 36.0 KB...

Download Firmware 395 KB...

If the power light is blinking, reset your router again for a minute...

Press and hold the reset button for 1 minute...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 1 minute and re-connect the power cable...After resetting the router check the lights again...

If the power light is still blinking you need to assign your computer a static ip address,

Click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>>Network Connections- Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1, click on ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window...

Click Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt...A black box will appear(Command Prompt)...In the Command Prompt window type ping 192.168.1.1 and press Enter, if you get 4 Replies then you should be able to upgrade your router's firmware...Disable any firewalls, security softwares on the computer before trying to access the setup page...

At any point if you want to upgrade the router's firmware here are the instructions :

Double click the tftp.exe file and click run :
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

To re-configure the router don't use the CD, configure it manually...

If your Internet Service Providor is Cable follow this link

If your Internet Service Providor is DSL follow this link