Tetley

Re: BEFSR41 Ver4.2 Power light blinking on and off. Disconnects...

I get tired of the techs who try and point the finger at something else even tho you have proven it to not be the problem.  My isp states it has to be my wiring.  No, its not my wiring because I can hook direct up with the modem and it works perfectly fine...therefore my cables and telephone lines are ok.  Then they try and say its a bad filter on the line.  No, its not because I have a dsl splitter at the source so that I don't have to use filters on each telephone.  Then someone will say its the modem.  its not the modem, I tried a different brand and same problem occurred.  Then they'll blame the router.  Its not the router specifically because, one again, I tried a different brand of router...same results.  Some will blame my isp.  It can't be considering I can download just fine with the modem to it directly.  My download speeds with or without the router are great.  I don't have any viruses, spyware, etc.  I keep taking out possible problems and proving its not the culprit...yet tech support will want you to begin from step one and dont care if you tell them step-by-step what you have already diagnosed.  *sighs* 
-OTAKUS_06-

It seems that your router is showing some problems by the way you describe that it is already having that blinking power light. You should start by upgrading or loading firmware on it.... Check the instructions here: CLICK THIS :smileywink:

"You tried your best and you failed miserably! "
demontrace

[ Edited ]
I already did everything that was listed in that link, and it didn't help. The firmware(all 1 of them), doesn't clear up the problem, even after reseting, and using that program to load it. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

(Edited post for guideline compliance. Thanks!)

Message Edited by JOHNDOE_06 on 10-29-2007 02:09 PM
demontrace

Alright, this is frustrating, I can't even agree with you Tetley without being censored. Wasn't even a jab at anyone, was telling it like it is. They DO want you to spend money you don't have to spend, it's a fact. And a lot of technicians don't know the same amount the other ones do, so you have to call a couple of times before you finally get one smart enough to solve your problems.
Anyway, I have done a bit of tinkering with my router settings. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be used together on the same port settings, but I was using Port range forwarding, and UPnP forwarding together. They seem to work well, and the connection seems a little more stable. Although while I was changing these settings, and testing them, they kept causing disconnects. Especially towards the beginning when Azureus is first making connections. It's very irritating, and I don't enjoy doing Linksys's job for them, but at least I'm making a bit of progress.

I still can't help but feel a new updated firmware would help with this, as stability seems to be the major problem here. From what I've read the BEFSR41 has had problems all throughout it's life, so maybe it won't get any better, but eventually they'll hit the sweet spot, I hope.

UPnP on; Port Range and UPnP Port forwarding enabled; Static IP; Multiple tries of updating the firmware with the latest one listed on Linksys site:

This is where I'm at.
Heh, and as I was writing this, had another disconnect. It's definitely still frequent, and wouldn't allow game playing with any satisfaction.
Downloading while playing games is out of the question.
Tetley

I hear ya Demontrace.  I've tried everything and then some, changed things, read and read some more.  Nothing is working and nothing makes any sense.  I am contemplating trying out a different brand of router/dsl modem all-inone just to see if it'll cure this problem.  Doubtful for sure and I'm not really wanting to spend $150 on it but I dont know what else to do. 
zissou

Hello guys! I have the BEFSR41 Ver4.2, firmware 2.00.1 (which is the latest i believe), bought it two weeks ago. The problems appear, the disconnecting, the lights, (the whole instability thing) when i use port forwarding or any other method of opening ports to a computer in the network, AND WHEN i run Emule. It seems to me that the router cant handle the numerous connections from P2P progs. and shuts down and comes back online in few seconds. Its very annoying. When i run emule this occurs every two/three minutes. I think Linksys will have to make new firmware (i went trough all the settings and nothing helped), hope it will be soon...
Tetley

Ok my fellow frustrated friends!  Try doing the following.  Reset your modem back to factory defaults (make sure you write down the settings you do need such as whether you're PPPOE etc...but I figure if you've been trying to determine the problems, you probably have all that information memorized by now!).  Anyhow, once its back to factory defaults, log into your router and begin setting up what you need to get it re-connected to the Internet.  When you're ready to try port forwarding (for the umpteenth time!), go in and do so.  BUT, try just forwarding the TCP and not UDP or BOTH.  TCP only.  Next fire up your torrent program...or whatever you're using...and see if the disconnects go away.  I did this last night...again, I might be jumping the gun as I didn't get a long opportunity to test and re-test.  I could download no problem although this did affect the uploading that torrent files do.  But no disconnects.  My speeds downloading were decent and could do several files at once.  Of course my upload sharing portion was almost non-existent.  But I am just trying to determine where the problem may lie and additional testing by others may either prove or disprove this.  Let me know how it goes.  Good luck!
zissou

Hey there!

Your suggestion works on my side! I didn't reset the stats on the router (DHCP connection), i just taged off the UDP port and no disconnects so far! Improvement indeed, thx! Gonna run this now, until an update is available

Just for the testing sake, i set the ports in emule for TCP and UDP to be the same and taged the port ON in router (option both), the connection went completely down.

If i have different ports for UDP and TCP the connections resets periodically every 3 minutes.

Then i tried UDP only (just testing to see...) and crashes periodically after 10 minutes or so...

So it seems, like you said, they cant work together, BUT that is still a problem, but one i can live with, so far... Dont know what does that mean for gamers...

TCP opened only for me, thx for the suggestion it never occurred to me... :smileyvery-happy:

p.s. i would suggest for the torrent users to try with uTorrent...
Tetley

Zissou, glad it worked for you so far.  Please keep us updated with your progress and results.  Would like others to post their results and see if they have the same.  Just helps us determine if UDP is at fault and hopefully someone, somewhere can figure out a cure for it.  They both USED to work but something obviously has changed.  Its not just a Linksys problem because like I said, this occurred first with my Microsoft MN-100 router...and yet it worked perfectly fine for years with the same firmware.  So something has changed somewhere...just a matter of finding out the culprit but hopefully that lies in the hands of people more experienced than me.  This is giving me hope that we're FINALLY (hopefully) on the path to a solution!
-OTAKUS_06-

You can also try setting your MTU size to 1492, 1300 or 576 and check which one would make your connection much stable..mine works okay as of now on default

"You tried your best and you failed miserably! "