Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
MongoDV8

BEFSR41 and DSL connection

[ Edited ]
Hi. I am new to routers but I build my own computers so I'm a fast learner.
I have a BEFSR41  wired router connected to a DSL modem. ( Speed Stream 5100).
When I run through the set up for the router my internet works fine. When I power down the modem for the night then turn it back on in the morning, the internet will not work until I rerun setup again.

I have everything set to obtain IP automatic etc.

I notice when I do power down the modem that my IP changes. I have looked at alot of support articles for both my provider and this router and can't find anything to adress this.

Is there a way to set this up without having to leave the modem on all the time ?

I have 2 computers hooked to the router.

Version 4.1

Message Edited by MongoDV8 on 03-21-2008 09:04 AM
toomanydonuts

Re: BEFSR41 and DSL connection

I doubt that you really need to run setup again to get your system working.  This is more likely a communication problem between modem and router, or router and computer.

Are you on an AT&T  PPPoE system?   Is your PPPoE user name and password stored in the 5100 modem?

While some networks can simply be switched on and they work, other systems are very sensitive to the boot order of the devices.   For example, some AT&T modems take as much as 5 minutes to boot up and connect to the AT&T network.  If this is your situation, then the usual solution would be to boot up the modem, wait 5 minutes, then boot up the BEFSR41 (wait 1-2 minutes for this), then boot up your computer.

A)  Most system prefer to be booted up in the same order that data from the Internet would travel in - that is, modem first, then router, then computer.  Allow each device to fully boot before starting up next device.

B) Sometimes you have to experiment around to find the proper boot order for your system, because not all systems prefer method A.  For example, I have a system that requires booting up the router first, waiting 5 minutes, then booting up the modem, then the computer.  I have no idea why I need to wait 5 minutes after booting up the router, but if I turn on the modem sooner, it does not work. 

Also, please do the following test:

Connect your computer, by ethernet cable, directly to your 5100 modem.  Verify that you have a working Internet connection.   Then do the following:

Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig /all" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key.  Post all your results, except if the "IP address" does not start with 192, then just post the first 3 digits of it, along with the rest of the info.   To put the info in your post, highlight the info, then use the copy (Ctrl-c) keys and the paste (Ctrl-v) keys.

MongoDV8

[ Edited ]
I'm not sure about the PPoE thing. I can't find much info on it on the AT&T site. My user name and pw are stored on the modem I'm pretty sure.

I have always been able to connect in less than one minute after powering on the modem. I will try the power up sequence if you think it will help.

Heres the info with my DSl connected directly from the modem to the computer without any router.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS suffix:  domain_not_set .invalid
IP Address  ................ 75.2.xx.xxx
Subnet Mask ..............255.255.255.0
Default Gateway .........75.2.xx.xxx

I only posted the first 3 numbers like you said. If that is not what you need then I can repost ( if it is safe to post this info in public) OR I can send you an email with it.

There is no power button ( that I can find) on this router.

Message Edited by MongoDV8 on 03-21-2008 09:07 PM

Message Edited by MongoDV8 on 03-21-2008 09:07 PM
toomanydonuts

Since you have a User Name and Password from AT&T, almost undoubtedly you are on a PPPoE system.   Your 5100 is a modem-router and it is apparently set to do a PPPoE login for you, and pass through a true Internet address (and not a LAN IP address).  This is ideal.   However, carefully watch the lights on this device.  I have seen similar AT&T setups (but I am not sure if it was the 5100) where the modem-router took 5 minutes to connect. 

I assume that in the BEFSR41, the "Internet Connection Type" is set to "DHCP - automatic".   Is that correct?

If so, then go ahead and try several different ways of powering up your system.  And see if you can find a method that works.  I still think that this is the most likely cause for your problem.

Also, have you upgraded the firmware of the BEFSR41?  After a firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch.  If you have not done this since the last firmware upgrade, please do this now, and see if it resolves your problem.  What firmware version are you using?

Also, what operating system are you running on your computers?
MongoDV8

This morning I turned everything on and the internet did not work. I powered everything down and tried different sequences allowing at least 5 minutes in between everything. Still no internet.

I verified the net was up by pugging directly into the modem. It was.

Firmware version was 1.04.06. I updated it to the latest ( 1.04.09) and did both a hard reset and software reset of the router. I ran the setup disc and on step 10 instead of coming up by default on Cable (DHCP), it instead came up  DSL (PPPoE). I used this setting and continued set up but it would not complete because it would not connect. I changed it back to Cable (DHCP) and it connected.
now I am back to the same problem. When I turn off the modem and turn it back on, it wont connect. I again tried the various sequences and allowed 5 minutes or more between each and nothing happens. I can plug directly into the modem and it will work. Then I plug back into the router and it will work..... until I turn off the modem again.

I am running Windows XP service pack 2.

If I set the router to PPPoE and type in the username and pw it will connect for about 10 seconds then quit.. I have to set it to " obtain IP automatically" to get it to work full time.

oook

You need to set modem to full bidged mode, to set PPPoE on router.
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
What operating system are you using?  Win XP SP2?  Vista?  other?

Stop using the setup software.  Sometimes it does not work correctly.  If you have installed any router software on your computer, uninstall it.

Next, you will need to reset your router to factory defaults, then connect it to your modem, and test your system.  Please use the following procedure:

To reset your router to factory defaults, use the following procedure:

1) Power down all computers, the router, and the modem, and unplug them from the wall.
2) Disconnect all wires from the router.
3) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
4) Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release it, then let the router reset and reboot (2-3 minutes).
5) Power down the router.
6) Connect one computer by wire to port 1 on the router (NOT to the internet port).
7) Power up the router and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).
8) Power up the computer (if the computer has a wireless card, make sure it is off).
9) Try to ping the router. To do this, click the "Start" button > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. A black DOS box will appear. Enter the following: "ping 192.168.1.1" (no quotes), and hit the Enter key. You will see 3 or 4 lines that start either with "Reply from ... " or "Request timed out." If you see "Reply from ...", your computer has found your router.
10) Open your browser and point it to 192.168.1.1. This will take you to your router's login page. In the user name field, enter "admin" (with no quotes), and in the password field, enter "admin" (with no quotes). This will take you to your router setup page. Note the version number of your firmware (usually listed near upper right corner of screen). Exit your browser.

If you get this far without problems, power down the router and computer.  Using an ethernet cable, connect the ethernet port of the 5100 modem to the Internet port of the BEFSR41.  Leave the computer connected to a LAN port on the BEFSR41.  Power up the modem and allow it to fully boot (5 minutes).  Power up the BEFSR41 and allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes).  Power up your computer.  Test your system.  If you cannot get a connection, temporarily turn off your software firewall, including Windows Firewall, and see if this helps.  Report back with your results.

If you cannot get "Reply from ..." in step 9 above, your router is dead.  Report back with your results.

If you get a reply in step 9, but cannot complete step 10, then either your router is dead or the firmware is corrupt. In this case, report back with your results.

If you need additional help, please state the results of steps 9 and 10. Also, if you get any error messages, copy them exactly and report back.

Please let me know how things turn out for you.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 03-23-2008 02:40 AM
MongoDV8

[ Edited ]
Thanks oook.

I had the chance to talk to a AT&T lineman yesterday. He also suggested I need to put the modem into bridge mode. I did a search and found this site very helpful as it talked specifically about my modem model. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/sbc/3.1_Speedstream_5100

I set the modem to bridge mode and then set the router to PPPoE mode. I repowered both devices and it has worked. I then powered down both the modem and the router 2 times and it is working so far. I will kep trying over the next few days and if it has anymore trouble I post here.

toomanydonuts wrote:
What operating system are you using?  Win XP SP2?  Vista?  other?

I'm using XP SP 2. It's in one of my other posts.

Message Edited by MongoDV8 on 03-23-2008 06:17 AM
MongoDV8

So far all the starting and restarting of the modem / router is working. Problem is that now I have to do it alot more because when playing online games ( mostly BF2) I keep losing my connection after about 30 to 45 minutes and then it won't work until I resart everything. Any ideas how to fix this new problem ?

I have 2 comps hooked to this router and we had no trouble playing at the same time before.

I have read in other places about buffer overflow or memory overflow issues with modems / routers and online games.
MongoDV8

Bump.