srodar

BEFSR41 speed problems

I have a new BEFSR41 v 4.3 router that replaced a BEFSR41 v 3 router. The reason I replaced the older one was that my connection speeds were intermittently dropping and the only fix was to reboot the router. I had updated the firmware, etc on the old one but the problem was consistent. When the connection speed dropped I had to reboot the router then it came back up for an unspecified period of time before I had to power down and power up. My thought was that the router was several years old and needed to be replaced. Unfortunately the new router which has the latest firmware does exactly the same thing. At times it is a real inconvenience with the reboot process only giving me minutes of normal speed.

Some things I have tried are:

Changing MTU setting to 1500, 1300, 1200 or 1492. Nothing changes.
Resetting the router.
Disabling the Block Anonymous Internet setting.

None of these changes makes any difference.

If I connect my modem directly to the PC I get normal speed with no slow downs. I have also connected only one computer to the router but the problem remains. The same computer works as expected when connected only to the modem.

I have seen lots of web articles where others have experienced the same problem with the BEFSR41 but I have found no solutions posted anywhere that work.

Does anyone know of any fix for this problem. I'm about ready to give up on Linksys and just get another router.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam
toomanydonuts

Re: BEFSR41 speed problems

[ Edited ]
1)  Please state your ISP

2)  Please state the make and exact model number of your modem  (not the BEFSR41).

3)  What kind of Internet connection do you have?  Cable?  DSL or ADSL?  Satellite?  Other?

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 05-23-2008 01:49 AM
srodar

Thanks for the quick response.

My connection is DSL. The ISP is Cybermesa.com. The local phone company is Windstream Communications.

The modem is a VisonNet ADSL W202. I have also experienced the same problem with a SIEMENS Speedstream 4200.

Thanks again.

Sam
gandalf

Make sure that the connections that you are doing are modem>>>>router>>>>pc.Now, open the setup page of router using 192.168.1.1.1 & on the status page check the wan ip if its public you will be ONLINE!!! if its a private ip you can change the lan ip to 192.168.2.1 & power cycle the complete network & you will be ONLINE!! if it happens like you are still not online you can change the internet connection type to PPPOE...give the username & password given by our ISP in the form of an email address & click save settings, now once again check the wan ip & you will be ONLINE!!!
srodar

Thanks Gandalf.

The problem isn't that I'm not online, I am always connected. The problem is that the speed of my connection drops to intolerable levels. I normally connect between 1200 - 1325 kbps. When I experience problems the speed will drop to between 100 - 600 kbps and web browsing and downloading files gets too slow to be useful. Then if I power the router down, wait a minute or two, and power back up everything works as expected until the next time which sometimes takes minutes and sometimes a day or more.
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
I could not find the User Guide for your modem.  If you know the URL, please post it.

After a firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch.  If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.  If you have not reset the router to factory defaults since the last firmware upgrade, then please do this now and see if it corrects your problem.

The problem that you described can also occur if you are using a very old modem with the Linksys router.    (Typically an old modem has instructions for Windows 95 in the User Guide.)   However, you said you got the same problem with a Speedstream 4200, which is new enough that this problem should not occur.

Also, look in the router.  Did you specify a "Domain Name" unnecessarily?  If so, this has also been reported to cause the problem.  To fix this, go into the router and erase the Domain Name, then reboot the router.

Another cause is running peer-to-peer (P2P) software.  This software tends to use up the router's memory buffers, and when they get full, the router slows down.  If you run P2P software, turn it off for a week.  It may take up to 5 days to clear the memory buffers in the router.  See if this resolves the problem.

Another cause is running the router with the "logs" turned on.  The logs are designed for short term diagnostic use.  If you leave the logs on constantly, they will also fill up the memory buffers, leading to a slowdown.  If this is the case, simply turn off logging in the router.

If none of the above fixes the problem, then I would suggest that you download and install (or re-install) the latest firmware for the router.  After the install, be sure to reset the router to factory defaults, then set it up again.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 05-24-2008 04:09 AM
gandalf

In such case try upgrading/reflashing the firmware of the wireless router .....
Also make sure that after upgrade .... reset & reconfigure the router ...