Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
marshall.tway
Accepted Solution

BEFSR81 and Assigning Static IPs to network members

This may be somewhat of noob question.

I have at WRT310N (192.168.1.2, DHCP Server OFF, Wireless On) cascaded through to my BEFSR81 (192.168.1.1, DHCP ON), but for the life of me I cannot figure where they hid DHCP Reservation. If there is no page for it, I have been unable to locate anything that looks like a workaround. I would like to set it up so that my network members get the same IP Addresses all the time and "guests" DHCP addresses

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks

Marshall

toomanydonuts

Re: BEFSR81 and Assigning Static IPs to network members

The BEFSR81 does not support "DHCP reservation".

The WRT310N supports DHCP reservation, but I believe that it only works when the DHCP server is enabled.  The setting is located in the "Network Setup" section of the router's setup pages.

There are several ways to fix this problem:

1)  Make the WRT310N your primary router, and the BEFSR81 your secondary router.  Then the DHCP server would be turned on in the WRT310N, and you should be able to use the DHCP reservation feature.

2)  Keep your network the way it is, but manually enter a fixed LAN IP address into each of your network devices.  You would only need to do this once.  This method works OK as long as all devices will only be used on your home network, and not on other networks (i.e. no traveling laptops).

3)  Make the WRT310N your primary router, then add a switch (such as the SD208) if you need more wired ports.  Put the BEFSR81 on the shelf.

Any of these solutions would still allow you to leave a DHCP server turned on, so your guests can get a DHCP assigned address. 

Which solution would you like more info on?

marshall.tway

I was affarid that was the case.

I have a pre-wired house (the BEF came with it). The junction box for all the IT Infrstructure is in my closet of the Master Bath. Putting a wireless router in there takes the transmission distance down to about 1/3 of normal. I juggled the layout around and right now I get full wireless coverage, just no DHCP Reservation. I can live with that. Everything works just fine.

Strange that somebody still makes a router withour DHCP Reservation though.

Thanks

MAJ Marshall Tway

brickmonkey

Well on the Wired router and on the G Series router you dont have a DHCP Reservation option. But now a days most of the N series router has a DHCP Reservation option. Your WRT310N has a DHCP Reservation option
toomanydonuts

One obvious option is that you could replace the BEFSR81 with almost any of Linksys's newer routers.  You could use the RVS4000  (DHCP reservation was added with a firmware upgrade), or you could use a wireless router and turn off the wireless.  If you are thinking about the RVS4000, be aware that it can only handle about 15 Mbps of throughput from your Internet connection, so if you have a faster connection, you will be out of luck with this router.

If you want to continue to use your BEFSR81, note that Linksys has some very specific rules about how to manually setup fixed LAN IP addresses in your network devices.  You must follow these rules carefully. 

Rules for using fixed LAN IP addresses on Linksys routers:

With Linksys routers, a fixed (static) LAN IP addresses must be assigned in the device that is using the address. So you need to enter the fixed address in the computer or printer, not in the router.

When using a Linksys router, any fixed LAN IP address must be outside the DHCP server range (typically 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.149), and it cannot end in 0, 1, or 255.

Therefore any fixed LAN IP address would normally need to be in the range of
192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.99 or
192.168.1.150 thru 192.168.1.254
assuming you are still using the default DHCP server range.

Also, in the computer, when you set up a static LAN IP address, you would need to set the "Subnet mask" to 255.255.255.0 and the "Default Gateway" to 192.168.1.1 and "DNS server" to 192.168.1.1

It is also important that no two devices on your network be set to the same static LAN IP address.

marshall.tway

Donuts,

Thanks

So I can assign a static IP to my printer and desktop. I appreciate it.

Marshall