windsors
Accepted Solution

BEFSX41 firmware upgrade doesn't finish

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware of a BEFSX41 wired router from version 1.43.3 (apparently the first revision after the original realease) to 1.52.15 (the latest I found), but I can't get it to finish. I'm using a Mac with all the latest versions of OS, Safari, and Firefox. When I use Safari to initiate the upgrade, it get's to the point where it says "Please wait ! Setup will take a few minute _____" and nothing else happens after that, even after waiting 30 minutes or more. When I use Firefox it gets to the same "Please wait" message, then a few minutes later Firefox displays an error message "Connection Interrupted: The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."; trying again does not help.

Any ideas?

great_white

Re: BEFSX41 firmware upgrade doesn't finish

As you are not able to Upgrade the firmware of your router using website setup, you may try to upgrade the firmware of your Router using TFTP.exe utility. Click Here to download TFTP utility and save it on your computer.

Double click the TFTP.exe file and click run :
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

windsors

Thanks, great_white, but the TFTP.exe utility is a Windows executable and I'm using Mac OS. (Unless I downloaded the wrong one; there was an anomaly when I clicked on the link the first few times, but eventually I got something that looks right -- the file name is Tftp,0.exe.) 

I found a TFTP utility built in to Mac OS (I'm a Unix system administrator by day, so I know where to look for such things), but, when I try to 'put' the firmware update, the utility complained about an invalid password:

$ cd /Users/Shared/system\ administration/installers/Linksys/BEFSX-15215,0

$ ls

BEFSX41V2.1_v1.52.15_004_code.bin ver.txt

$ tftp -e 192.168.1.1

tftp> status

Connected to 192.168.1.1.

Mode: octet Verbose: off Tracing: off

Rexmt-interval: 5 seconds, Max-timeout: 25 seconds

tftp> put BEFSX41V2.1_v1.52.15_004_code.bin

Error code 2: Invalid Password !!

tftp> quit

$ _

This generic TFTP utility doesn't seem to offer any way to specify a password, and when I tried FTP (which does let you specify a password, and which is also built in to Mac OS) the router didn't respond at all to the 'open' command.

Are there any other options? Or will I have to haul the router over to the home of a friend who has a Windows computer?

windsors

Hold the phone! I just found a TFTP utility which is written for Mac OS and is specifically designed to handle devices that require a password: MacTFTP Client 1.2 from MacTechnologies Consulting (shareware; $12 after 30-day trial). It worked perfectly, and I finally succeeded in upgrading the firmware.

BTW, the other two solutions I found by Googling 'tftp linksys mac' (no quotes) were deleting the password in the router's setup pages, or appending the password (along with some other verbiage) to the end of the TFTP 'put' command, but neither of those worked for me.

fuzzyscorpio

[ Edited ]

So glad I came across Windsors' post about the Mac version of the TFTP client, and appreciate the link. For me, too, this seems to have "worked perfectly," whereas Firefox and Safari both behaved like corpses when I tried to update my BEFSR41's firmware via the Web interface. Thanks!

Message Edited by fuzzyscorpio on 01-14-2010 03:27 PM
BionicBooBoo

The web server included in the BEFSX41 doesn't handle the macintosh file system correctly, therefore you cannot use it to upgraade the firmware using Macintosh.  Instead use a TFTP client like the the graphical one mentioned available at MacTechnology's web site to upload new firmware.  FYI You will need to enter the rotuer password when using this tool... 
gdotman

I have a wrt160n v2 and trying to upgrade to v3, but it will not work. when I go into the administration and then firmware upgrade it just goes to 6% and the says failed, also when I use the TFTP.exe utility that you offered it says failed to resolve host address. What do you think I need to do?
goodhugh

BIG THANKS to wrt160n v2 router....  He was ready to throw it in the trash.  It's back up and running!  Thanks again guys!

tedge@cox.net

This did work like a charm.  I spent 40 minutes on a tech support call with Linksys.  the first 15 they told me the router was ruined.  The next ten he tried to sell me a refurbished router.  The next 10 he tried to sell me a new router..  The last 5 I spent asking him how they could fix the routers to resell, but their support team cannot tell me how to fix the router.  I have always been a huge advocate of Linsys and based on this support call I am losing confidence in them.  It seemed like a real racket for them to push me to buy a new router when the one I had was fixable. 

Thanks so much to great_white!!!

tedge@cox.net

You can download the new firmware here http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT160N