tedinoz
Accepted Solution

BEFSX41 mgmnt

Something odd happending to my 3yo router.

Documentation says to plug cable modem into WAN port, and plug PC(s) into one of ports 1-4. When I do this, I can't access the internet OR manage the router thru a browser. BUT, if I connect cable modem to one of ports1-4 and PC to one of the other ports 1-4, internet is available. Either way, router management is not possible "connection has timed out").

I have set router; reset cable modem; reset PC, turned off firewall. Cables are OK. PC = TCP/IP is set to pick up IP automatically; Router=ditto. Router is BEFSX41 V2 Australian edition.

Solutions gratefully accepted.

Ted

jk3700

Re: BEFSX41 mgmnt

Plug the routers WAN port into the cable modem.

Perform a hard reset of your router by holding in the reset button for 30 secs and then removing the power for 10 secs and then reapplying the power to the router.

Connect a network cable from the routers LAN port 1 to your computers network port.

Verify your computer is set to get an IP automatically.  Reboot your computer.

If your cable is setup to hand out IP's, you should now have Internet.  If not, your should already know that you have to manually assign an IP, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS settings which you get from your ISP.

Do this by accessing the router by opening your browser and in the address box type http://192.168.1.1/ and then hit enter.

The routers main screen should appear and you should be able to type in the settings to get the internet.  Save your manual settings and now you should have Internet.

Good Luck!

tedinoz

Success! Thanks jk3700.

I did "try" to reset last night but obviously not in the way you advised. The other thing that is different is your suggestion to plug the PC cable into port#1. The documentation says that any old port will do - so I wasn't very particular about that last night.

Thanks.

Ted

jk3700

Glad to hear you are up and runing.

Sorry to suggest that you had to plug into port 1.  You're right about any one of the 4 ports will do.

Have a great day!