Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jasonb

Can't access shares over working IPSec VPN Tunnel (RVS4000)

I've been through tech support with Linksys, and paid support with Microsoft over this and NOTHING! No one has been able to help me.

MY CONFIGURATION:

Two LANs at different locations with static IP assignments like this:
LAN1 machines : 192.168.1.x , subnet mask 255.255.255.0
LAN2 machines : 192.168.2.x , subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I have Bellsouth ADSL at both locations with Linksys RVS4000s.

I have Linux servers and WinXP Pro SP2 workstations on either end,
for this discussion let's just focus on the WinXP Pro PCs.

With my successfully established an IPSec VPN Tunnel between LANs:
* I can ping machines on either end by IP address
* I can FTP between machines on either end by IP address
* I can SSH between machines on either end by IP address
* I can use applications like Laplink & ODBC databases on either end by IP

MY PROBLEM:
I cannot access ANY shared folders from one LAN to the other over the VPN connection. A shared folder that exists, and is available on LAN1 cannot be accessed on LAN2. I realize NetBIOS browsing and naming doesn't work over VPNs, but even when I try and access the share directly with the IP address as such: \\192.168.1.5\Sharename it says it cannot find the share.

I've seen other issues like this posted out there on various forums but not one solution. I've turned off all WinXP firewalls.

MY QUESTION(s):
Has anyone out there successfully shared files between WinXP machines over their IPSec VPN Tunnel?
Can anyone tell me what my problem is?

Linksys says it's a Microsoft problem, Microsoft says it's a Linksys problem.

What do you say?
peanuts

Re: Can't access shares over working IPSec VPN Tunnel (RVS4000)

HI....
U can try one thing.......create a shared folder on any one computer, do not aply any user restrictions.
Try to access the shared folder over the internal network first. Then try to access the shared folder thru the VPN tunnel.
In order to figure out where exactly the problem is connect computers at both ends directly to modem, configure IPSec VPN tunnel using the windows VPN and then try to access the shared files.

jasonb

Thank you for your reply. I've already tried this. The share I create on LAN1 is completely accessible by other computers on LAN1, even when using the IP address to access the share ( i.e. \\192.168.1.5\Sharename ). When I try and access it from LAN2 I get nothing. Any other ideas? Are you able to share folders like this successfully? If so, what is your configuration, perhaps we can compare and I may find what i've got wrong?
peanuts

HI..
Try changing the MTU setting of the routers and set it to 1300. Also make sure that block wan request is also set to disabled. Powercycle the whole networl on both the ends.
jasonb

peanuts wrote:
HI..
Try changing the MTU setting of the routers and set it to 1300. Also make sure that block wan request is also set to disabled. Powercycle the whole networl on both the ends.

Did this. Didn't help. Any other ideas? Is anyone else out there having trouble accessing WinXP shares over their VPN? Post here to keep this thread alive and maybe someone at linksys will actually address the problem (instead of just hanging up on me in support chat like last time).

thanks,
jason

Do you have any software firewall on? I had the same problem and when I turned off Windows firewall I was able to connect to the XP shares.
jasonb

I have the windows firewall turned off on both machines involved. Still nothing. I can ping the machine just fine, but when I try and access the share- even directly by the machine's IP address- I get nothing. "The network path was not found" every time. Any other ideas?

Has anyone done this successfully with an RVS4000? Most advice I get are from other linksys VPN model owners.

Jason
axegrinder

This is driving me nuts also! (Using QuickVPN on laptop)

Remote access to router PERFECT

VPN to router PERFECT

Ping computers inside network PERFECT

Must target with IP address

Telnet to server inside VPN PERFECT

Remote access to any computer inside VPN PERFECT

No matter what I do I cannot see other computers or there shares in “network neighborhood” even \\computer\share does nothing, YET long as you target a machine running a application with a IP address works perfect.

This is very frustrating to say the least.

Is there anyone out there that does not have this problem with the RVS4000?

PLEASE !!!   some screen shots or something?

Thanks John

Mike_Breeden

I asked Linksys pre-sales for a solution to a problem. They told me to get 2 RV042 VPN routers. So....
I have a LAN in Bldg 1. Win 2003 Domain. RV042 VPN Router. Static IP.
In Bldg 2 is RV042 VPN Router with Dynamic IP.
I made a Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel between them.
I can see my Domain from Bldg 2, but cannot access it at all.
Tech support told me that the routers will not work with Win Domains. I said that was nuts. Isn't the network layer a ways away from the OS? If that is so, what is the point in the routers. Peer to Peer networks are not business grade.
I too am desperate for an answer. I think I may have been spoofed by Linksys.
I'll keep looking and report back whatever I find. Lets get this either solved or clarified that it can't be done.
Enjoy, Mike Breeden
Mike_Breeden

If you haven't found this already, DocLarge posted about that to map the drive you use Windows Explorer->Tools->Map Network Drive
Select the drive letter
Enter the share as \\IP Address\Share name  (ie, \\192.168.0.55\Share1)
Then, the big THEN, use "Connect using a different user name"
It wants new credentials. Anyway, it worked for me.
Good luck, Mike Breeden